Witt addresses racial incident in campuswide email

In a rare occurrence, University President Robert Witt addressed students, faculty and staff in a campuswide email sent Saturday afternoon. The message addressed a racially charged incident that occurred Friday night.

“On Friday evening, a member of the UA student body used a racial slur to refer to another UA student,” Witt stated in the email. “The words that were used are offensive to our community, and are especially upsetting to African Americans.

“I want to emphasize in the strongest possible terms [emphasis Witt’s] that The University of Alabama finds this behavior totally unacceptable, and appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.”

Witt’s curt email stating the University’s stance on racial slurs was his way of making a stand against an issue he feels strongly about, according to University spokesperson Bill McDaniel.

“It shows the level of importance of this to Dr. Witt…he wants that known, that this type of incident isn’t tolerated,” McDaniel said. He said that the email’s short word count of 63 words was intentional and directly from the university president.

“Witt just wanted to address the incident that happened, so he said what he felt like he needed to say,” McDaniel said. McDaniel could not say at which event the incident occurred or provide any further context for the email.

“Any time there’s any kind of incident, the incident is reviewed,” McDaniel said. “I don’t know that there is an exact plan for the disciplinary action right now…each case is evaluated and then the appropriate action is determined on each individual case.”

Most incidents like this go to the dean of students and judicial affairs, he said.

McDaniel said the president deemed the University’s email system was the most appropriate avenue to share his views. “That’s a standard procedure we have for giving information for students,” he said.

McDaniel could not say whether or not the student body should expect a follow-up message or address from the president.

“That would be up to Dr. Witt, if he feels it’s necessary to address it again,” he said.

The Crimson White will have more information as the story develops.