Shaquera Wade leads women’s basketball over Southeastern Louisiana

CW/ Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama women’s basketball opened its regular season with a 88-40 win against Southeastern Louisiana. It’s the biggest win over the Lady Lions in the two team’s history.

During the preseason, the Crimson Tide was looking for consistency and fixing the little things to start the season on a good note.

“There’s a lot to go on tonight, there’s still some improvement areas, I don’t think we’re ever satisfied,” coach Kristy Curry said. “I love how we started the game tonight; it was much improved from our second exhibition. I thought we carried that throughout the second quarter. To hold someone to 16 points at half is always hard to do at this level on any given night. So, credit to our kids for being ready to play. That’s a team that I really feel like is going to have a great season in their league. They return four or five starters and is really well coached, and I just thought our kids just came out and threw a punch, and were consistent with that. We really put them on their heels for most of the night.”

Alabama was led by senior Shaquera Wade, who scored her most in a season opener with 20 points. She shot 9-for-13 along with seven rebounds and two assists. Following her was junior Jasmine Walker with 12 points, and 13 rebounds recording her first career double-double. Freshman Allie Craig Cruce finished with 12, and junior Jordan Lewis had 10.

“I just came out with a lot of energy today since the start of shoot around,” Wade said. “My energy impacted that and also with my teammates giving me the ball when I’m open. I took advantage of the defense.”

From the start, Alabama took control of the game leading 21-8 going into the second quarter and extending that lead to 27 by halftime. During the first half, the Crimson Tide shot 47 percent going 16-for-34. Southeastern Louisiana went for 6-for-33 and 18 percent.

Alabama finished the game shooting 28-for-62 and 45 percent from the field while Southeastern Louisiana shot 13-for-67 and 19 percent from the field. The Crimson Tide out-rebounded the Lady Lions 51-31. Alabama tallied 12 assists and four blocks, three of them coming from sophomore Ariyah Copeland. Alabama finished 76 percent of its free throw attempts.

Alabama is now 9-2 overall against Southeastern Louisiana, winning the last nine meetings. The Crimson Tide is 5-1 in season openers under Curry as head coach.

Alabama is back in action Tuesday, Nov 13 against Utah. The game is scheduled for 8 p.m. in Salt Lake City.