National president of Delta Tau Delta apologizes to Zimmerman

The national president of Delta Tau Delta formally apologized to Justin Zimmerman Monday for a fraternity member’s use of a racial slur to address him Friday afternoon, according to a release from the fraternity’s national office.

“Delta Tau Delta does not condone, support or tolerate such conduct,” said Jim Russell, the national executive vice president of Delta Tau Delta . “Our investigation is ongoing but we believe this was the act of one member. His behavior is not representative of the Alabama chapter nor the national fraternity.“

“It is out of alignment with the stated values of Delta Tau Delta,” Russell said.

The national office is continuing to work with UA’s Delta Eta Chapter of Delta Tau Delta as well as the fraternity’s alumni in Tuscaloosa with the objective of turning the incident into a “teachable moment” and holding the person responsible accountable.

Sean Keeler, president of the Delta Eta Chapter on the University’s campus, said his chapter will fully comply with the national office’s investigation.

According to the release, since Zimmerman has identified himself as a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, a historically black fraternity, Russell contacted the executive officer of Alpha Phi Alpha to offer an apology, as well.