UA fraternity hosts party with a purpose

Students who travel to Birmingham this weekend for the seventh annual “Fade 2 Black” event presented by the Kappa Alpha chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., may not realize the contribution they are making and how their desire to party also supports a cause.

“Fade 2 Black is a social event that will be held in the Sheraton Ballroom this year in Birmingham,” said Tommy Walker, president of Alpha Phi Alpha. “The proceeds from the event will go to the chapter’s annual philanthropic charities March of Dimes (Babies) and the Sickle Cell Foundation.”

Walker said last year the growth of the event allowed the chapter to begin the “Excellent 8” book scholarship, which they will be able to expand this year to four recipients instead of two.

Bonaventure Akinlosotu, director of planning for Fade 2 Black this year said the scholarship will go to students of Paul Bryant High School and Central High School.

“We go to the counselors and notify them of the opportunity of the Excellent 8 scholarship and give them the essay topic,” he said. “After we receive the essays, a committee within our chapter decides which essay is most deserving of the scholarship.”

Walker said the chapter will be able to expand the scholarship from two recipients to four recipients, which will be two black males from both Paul Bryant and Central High.

“We chose these schools because they are the largest African-American populated schools within a 10-mile radius with the lowest rate of African-American males planning to go to college,” he said.

“Also after granting the scholarship we do meet the recipients and hear their stories as they get to hear ours,” Akinlosotu said. “They get to see men who are in college and form relationships with us as well.”

Jahmir Jones, public relations and marketing coordinator for Fade 2 Black said the scholarship will give the recipients a lighter burden when they go to college, while exposing them to an organization that promotes manhood and service.

“I encourage people to come out to Fade 2 Black this year,” he said. “The event has had a packed venue since it started in 2005 and it continues to get bigger.”

Walker said the event was moved to Birmingham because it is a central location to incorporate more schools and more students.

“Our event is becoming more of a statewide event, and we hope the event brings out 2,000 people or more this year,” he said.

This event began at the 420th House of Alpha located on campus, moved to the Ferguson Ballroom, then to the Bryant Conference center and will now be held in Birmingham.

The men of Alpha Phi Alpha have taken the safety of students who may be driving from Tuscaloosa into consideration and blocked off several rooms that have been discounted for hotel reservations at the Sheraton.

The men of Alpha Phi Alpha will be hosting a “Safe Partying” forum that will be in Bidgood 115 at 6 p.m. today to advise students on how to remain safe and still have a good time.

Jones said those who plan to attend Fade 2 Black are encouraged to dress to impress and to come out and support the event and a good cause.