Women’s basketball loses twice in weekend tournament

CW/ Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama women’s basketball drops two straight games during the Arizona State Classic to put its record at (5-3).

Despite the Crimson Tide’s freshman Megan Abrams scoring a career-high 19 points, Alabama lost 80-73 to Tulsa on Saturday.

Abrams, in her first six games, shot just 1-of-19 before hitting 7-of-11 in Saturday’s matchup. Junior Cierra Johnson added 10 points, and junior Jasmine Walker finished with nine points and six rebounds.

Alabama finished 28-of-59 for 47 percent from the field. The Crimson Tide outscored the Golden Hurricane 36-26 in the paint, and the bench outscored Tulsa 37-12.

In the Crimson Tide’s second game of the weekend, Alabama fell to Louisiana Tech 79-62.

Leading the Crimson Tide was junior Cierra Johnson with 15 points and for assists, followed by senior Shaquera Wade with 13 points. De’Sha Benjamin had 11 points while freshman Allie Craig Cruce finished with 10 points for Alabama.

Alabama finished the night 21-of-63 shooting to go 33 percent from the field while the Lady Techsters made 47 percent finishing 31-of-66 shooting.

Despite going winless over the weekend, Alabama looks to get back on track with another three-game homestand beginning Wednesday, Dec. 5. The Crimson Tide will host South Alabama inside Coleman Coliseum. The game is the fifth annual Grade Fastbreak game.

Tipoff is slated for 11:30 a.m.