Sorority ball extends scholarship opportunities to men

The Lambda Zeta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta is hosting an event called “An Evening of Excellence” in the Sellers Auditorium at the Bryant Conference Center Sunday at 7 p.m. The Deltas will recognize collegiate and high school achievement and award scholarships ranging from $500 to $1,000.

“Our chapter’s annual ball has been a tradition for many years now,” said Kiara N. Wilson, president of the chapter. “One of the defining cornerstones of our sorority is ‘scholarship,’ and this event allows us to uphold that founding principle, as well as honor those who exemplify scholastic excellence.”

Wilson said in the past, most of the applicants and recipients have been female.

“One of our goals for this event is to receive an equal number of male and female applicants and to be able to award at least one scholarship to a male,” she said.

Recognizing high school achievement, along with collegiate achievement, she said, is important on every level.

“We relish the opportunity to provide a book scholarship to a college-bound high school student who has excelled academically,” Wilson said. “This leaves one less expense that his or her family will have to worry about.”

Kevin Croom, pastor of the College Hill Baptist Church who is also the assistant principal of Paul Bryant High School, was the best choice to make an inspirational speech for both high school students and college students since he is a prominent figure in the Tuscaloosa community, Wilson said.

“We chose him as our keynote speaker because, rather than our usual female speaker, we wanted a successful gentleman who could be of some inspiration to our male attendees, as well as someone who could elaborate on the methods of achieving greatness,” she said.

The turnout should be better this year, Wilson said, because last year, the date of the event fell on Super Bowl Sunday.

“This year,” Wilson said. “There seems to be nothing else going on that could possibly take precedence over our next event.”