University makes further developments over winter break

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rylie Curry, Staff Reporter

Students officially began winter break on Friday, Dec. 15, but several different events happened on campus during the month of December:

• University of Alabama achieves Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity Status

The University has been listed as a Doctoral University with a Very High Research Activity status by the Carnegie Classification. According to an email from UA President Stuart R. Bell, the classification is awarded based on research funding, research staff and the amount of doctoral degrees earned at the University. “Not only is this status an impressive accomplishment for the Capstone, it also demonstrates our continued commitment to research and scholarship productivity and innovation,” Bell said in an email sent to the University.

• Dr. Jamie R. Riley hired as assistant vice president and dean of students

Beginning Feb. 25, Jamie R. Riley will be the new assistant vice president and dean of students at the University. Riley currently works as the executive director and chief operating officer of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. In a UA News article, David L. Grady, vice president for student life, said Riley “has a proven track record of advocating for students and for encouraging their co-curricular learning experiences.” Before his work at Alpha Phi Alpha, Riley worked in a variety of roles at a many universities across the country, including Johns Hopkins University, the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Georgia, among others.

• UA Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association donate to SAFE Center and R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Fund

Both the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association at the University donated $25,000 each to the Tuscaloosa SAFE Center and UA’s R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Fund. The SAFE Center opened in November and aims to provide medical and forensic support for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence in West Alabama counties. R.E.S.P.E.C.T. (Reaching Every Student Possible Ensuring Care and Treatment) was created by the UA Student Government Association to raise awareness and provide more resources for mental health. In a UA News article, Price McGiffert, UA SGA president and member of the SAFE Center board of directors, said one of his goals at the Capstone “has been to strengthen the bond between SGA and the University’s administration, city of Tuscaloosa and state of Alabama.”

• Students vote on Gorgas Library renovations

From Dec.10 to Dec.18, students had the option to vote on a variety of features to be renovated in Gorgas Library’s bathrooms. The renovations are set to begin in May 2019 and are expected to be completed in two to three years. “Our goal, if funding is available and we can move through the process, is that we’d like to have a renovated building that provides modern, efficient study space for the students and addresses all infrastructure needs of the building as well,” said Harriet Deason, director of administrative services for University Libraries, in an article with UA News.

• Magnolia Deck changes parking access

Since Jan. 7, the Magnolia Parking Deck has had new hours and accessibility. According to Bama Parking, the Magnolia Deck gate will remain closed at all times, except for students with valid orange residential parking permits. Other valid parking permits will have access to to the deck from 4:30 p.m. through 7 a.m. all days of the week.

All information courtesy of The University of Alabama.