Fashion Inc. seeks T-shirt donations

With a little time and vision, a new design can be formed — even just from a T-shirt. Last year, Theresa Mince, an officer of Fashion Inc., created several designs from T-shirts for the annual Fashion Inc. fashion show on the front of Doster’s lawn.

This year, Fashion Inc. is collecting T-shirts for the designers to use for the show called Tee Time that will take place on April 19.

“Tee Time is held during green week which promotes sustainability of resources and being more environmentally friendly,” Mince said. “So this year we want organizations to donate shirts that aren’t being used for designers to use in the show.”

She said this would give the designers a chance to make use of shirts that aren’t being used and would otherwise be wasted.

Michael Forst, director of Outreach for The SOURCE said The SOURCE is working with Fashion Inc. as a drop off location for students and organizations that want to donate T-shirts.

Each student organization that donates T-shirts to the show will be recognized during the show in April. The leftover shirts will be put to use by creating blankets to donate or just donating them to charity.

“The SOURCE tries to be a resource and utility for student groups,” Forst said. “We want to reach out to other student groups during Green Week.”

He said they want to serve as a place of encouragement for student groups and encourage them to partner together to have successful campus events.

“Mince approached The SOURCE and asked if could we serve as a drop off location for the T-shirts and we agreed because we want to help organizations as much as possible,” he said.

He said The SOURCE has unified student organizations in the past by granting them the opportunity to participate in programs like Bama Buddies.

Mince said the students of Fashion Inc. can put to use any shirt, so students are encouraged to donate as much as possible.

“Students can get Pan-Hellenic points for donating shirts and all other organizations that donate are encouraged to come to the show as they are recognized,” she said.

Mince said students have been given free reign with what they can make with the T-shirts, but she has seen bags, shirts, and gowns all starting from a simple T-shirt.

Mince is participating this year as a coordinator for the event and a designer. She has participated three times in the past.

Fashion Inc. has served as an organization on campus that is home to any person who is interested in the fashion industry.

In exchange for the donations of the shirts, Fashion Inc. will be rewarding organizations with prizes such as free tickets to the show based on the number of T-shirts donated.

“We encourage students to get involved and be connected with others who have interests just like them,” she said.