Netflix’s hidden gems bring back nostalgia

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Megan Friend, Contributing Writer

If you take off your “Bird Box” blindfold and want to swear off new Netflix originals for a while, there are plenty of hidden gems to be found on the streaming service.

Netflix puts out a never-ending stream of original content these days. In between original movies like “Set it Up” and “Bird Box,” original series like “You” and “Tidying up with Marie Kondo,” and original interactive movies like “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch,” it can be easy to just flip a heavily-advertised selection on and never delve past the home page.

But hidden beneath all of this flashy, acclaimed content are heaps of nostalgic, entertaining movies that all too often go overlooked. As tempting as it is to watch the movie of the moment that everyone is talking about, there is a lot to be said for turning on a throwback and jumping back to a simpler time; back before you knew what Rotten Tomatoes was and you enjoyed what you enjoyed, regardless of what the internet was raving about.

When trying to decide on a movie to watch amid the countless options on Netflix, Norris Davis, a senior double majoring in political science and African American studies, and a group of friends recently looked to the past and found a forgotten cinematic masterpiece: “Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.”

“We really wanted to watch something fun that we could relax during and that wouldn’t require us to think,” said Davis. “It was the perfect movie for us to get together and just have a great laugh.”

Senior psychology major Alyssa Barefield, who was also present for the “Scooby-Doo 2” viewing, had some ideas about why re-watching the movie as a senior in college made it that much better.

“I just loved the sense of nostalgia it brings to me when watching kid movies,” Barefield said.  “Also, maybe because I’m grown now, but certain jokes that went over my head as a child are now funny.”

Barefield went on to say that, aside from finding the content of what she was watching amusing, the funniest part of the experience was just sitting around with a group of friends in their twenties, turning on a kids’ movie with a talking dog and realizing the absurdity of the situation.

“It’s just ridiculous, drinking wine and whiskey and deciding to watch ‘Scooby Doo,’” Barefield said. “Like, this is adulthood.”

When Madeleine Spivey, a sophomore English major, was asked about an underrated classic deserving a second look, she pointed to another great option to seek out on Netflix, especially if you overlooked it when it quietly came out in theaters a decade ago.

“Anyone who wants to find a hidden gem on Netflix needs to watch ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,’” said Spivey. “It’s one of the most singular viewing experiences I’ve ever had the pleasure of partaking in. Anyone who loves music, art, cinematography or Michael Cera is going to fall in love with this movie.”

And finally, if you are looking for an under-rated throwback but are also a diehard fan of Netflix original movies, or if you have already seen all of the latest hot-topic original options and want to dig a little deeper in your search, freshman Tejas Dinesh, a history and mechanical engineering double major, has just the recommendation.

While it might require a bit of rifling through the “Netflix Originals” page to find it, Tejas says “Ali’s Wedding,” which was first released a couple of years ago, is worth the search if you’re looking for a unique, heart-warming story.

“‘Ali’s Wedding’ provides a much-needed insight into the life of a displaced Muslim family living in the west,” said Dinesh. “It is lighthearted and deeply moving, and you will walk away with a smile on your face.”

So the next time you’re on Netflix, tossing the remote around and arguing with everyone about what to watch, maybe don’t just click on the movie that automatically starts playing its preview on the home page out of sheer frustration.

Instead of looking to watch the next big thing before it becomes obsolete a week later, gather a group of buds and consider looking to the past. If you flip on a childhood favorite, a movie you always wanted to see or a random, intriguing option from a couple years back that just sounds entertaining, you may find the movie you’ve always been missing.

Or, at the very least, you’ll get to scream laughing at a live-action, mystery-solving dog with your closest friends.