Gymnastics tops No. 16 Missouri on the road

CW%2F+Hannah+Saad+

CW/ Hannah Saad

James Ogletree, Staff Writer

Alabama gymnastics won its meet at No. 16 Missouri on Friday night, 196.850 to 196.550, again raising its season average. The score was the eighth-ranked Crimson Tide’s third straight score just below 197, following scores of 196.900 at Georgia and 196.850 vs. LSU.

“Based on the goals that we had coming into the meet, we didn’t have the performance we were hoping for,” UA head coach Dana Duckworth said. “That came down to a lack of stuck landings on our part. That being said, we had some great individual performances tonight.”

The team finished the floor exercise with a season-high 49.375, courtesy of career highs from sophomore Lexi Graber (9.925) and junior Shea Mahoney (9.85).

Graber returned to the lineup after missing last week’s home meet against LSU due to a lower-leg injury during warmups. Coach Dana Duckworth said during the week that Graber would compete on vault, uneven bars and balance beam but wasn’t sure about the floor exercise.

Graber ended the meet going all-around for the fourth time in five meets this season. For the first time, however, she was not the only one to do so, as freshman Emily Gaskins joined her in competing in all four events.

In addition to making her debut on the floor, Gaskins also recorded a career high of 9.85 on the vault.

Alabama needed every contribution it could get on vault, as senior Abby Armbrecht, the team’s third-leading vaulter, did not make the trip due to a stomach bug according to the SEC Network broadcast. The team opted to compete with five vaulters instead of the customary six, but it still earned a score of 49.125, just below its season average.

Two events before her career high on the floor, Mahoney opened the meet with a 9.9 on bars and a career-best-tying 9.875 on vault.

For just the second time this season, all six competitors scored at least a 9.8 in an event, doing so on bars against Mizzou en route to a season-high 49.250. Freshman Jensie Givens set a new career high with a 9.8.

Sophomore Alonza Klopfer set a new career high of 9.875 to lead the team as it closed on the balance beam.

Next up for Alabama is a second straight road meet at No. 24 Arkansas on Feb. 8.