Women’s basketball tries to find consistency against Mississippi State

By Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

It’s been a whirlpool of emotions for the Alabama women’s basketball team, with many highs and lows this season; the Crimson Tide looks to pick up the staple mark the team has been searching for.

For the majority of the season, Alabama has struggled with the little things: turnovers, missed shots and rebounding. It’s been all about consistency.

“When we put ourselves in a position to do things that we are capable of doing that’s within our control, not to focus so much on our opponent but to play the way we are capable of playing when we’ve had the most success,” coach Kristy Curry said. “We have had a really good week; obviously we were on our bye week. It’s a chance to get healthier, rest up, really prepare in two area’s we worked on is to make easy baskets, and we have to stop missing lay-ups and taking care of the ball.”

The Crimson Tide turns the ball over 17 times per game and average 67 points per game with 39 percent in field-goal percentage.

With the team having six freshmen and two seniors, Alabama turned to a newcomer to take over.

Junior Cierra Johnson, the 2018 NJCAA Player of the Year, had a slow start transitioning to Division I but once she become comfortable she’s become a critical factor to the Crimson Tide, especially after junior Jordan Lewis went down with a wrist injury.

In Johnson’s first three games only averaging nine points per game, she has scored in double digits in 16 of the last 18 games. She leads the Crimson Tide with 14.5 points per game and in total assists (62 through 21 games). Johnson is the top-rebounding guard and third on the team with 4.8 boards per game.

On Jan. 17, when the Crimson Tide knocked off then No. 20 Tennessee, Johnson was a big factor finishing with 17 points and seven rebounds. Fifteen of those 17 points came in the second half. After making a late basket at the buzzer, she walked off with a little swagger in her step.

“I just looked at the side and seeing coach and how excited she was, it really just motivated me,” Johnson said.

The shot made up for a bad shot by Johnson in the third quarter making Curry put her hands over her face. At the time, it was the statement win the Crimson Tide had been searching for.

No. 6 Mississippi State is coming off a 68-35 win over LSU on Thursday in Baton Rouge, La. The Bulldogs rank first in the nation in scoring offense (90.4 points per game) and scoring margin (34.8).

The Bulldogs only loss came to then No. 7 Oregon, 82-74, in Eugene back in December. A win over the Bulldogs would be the staple the Crimson Tide has been looking for, and Johnson will be huge in its effort of pulling off the upset.

The Crimson Tide 11-10 (3-5 SEC) takes on No. 6 Mississippi State 20-1 (8-0 SEC) on Feb. 3 in Colemen Coliseum. Tipoff is slated for 12 p.m.