Alabama track and field finishes big in Carolina Challenge

Courtesy of Alabama Athletics

Courtesy of Alabama Athletics

Joey Blackwell, Contributing Writer

The Alabama track and field team closed out the Carolina Challenge in big fashion with five wins and 24 top-eight finishes.

“We really closed strong today, getting some great wins and competing well across a wide-range of events,” Alabama coach Dan Waters said in a press release.

In an event with more than 1,500 competitors from over 45 teams, the Crimson Tide had a strong outing in Columbia, South Carolina.

Shelby McEwen had a phenomenal day, finishing with a career-best leap to give Alabama a win in the men’s high jump. McEwen was the only competitor to go over seven feet at the meet, with a jump of 7-7 (2.31m).

McEwen’s jump is also the best mark in the nation this season, and beats the South Carolina Indoor Track & Field Complex record by six inches. The jump falls just short of Alabama’s all-time record by just three-quarters of an inch.

“We’re really proud of Shelby and what he was able to do out there today,” Waters said. “He’s been building toward this for a while, and it was great to see him clear 7-7, knowing that his best is still out there.”

The Crimson Tide also won the women’s shot put, sweeping the top three spots. Senior Haley Teel finished with the win (16.49m), with senior Portious Warren taking second (16.47m) and sophomore Nicolette Dunbar taking third (16.02m). All three throw broke the previous facility record, and the Alabama throwers were the only ones in the competition to break the 16-meter mark.

In women’s high jump, senior Stacey Destin cleared 5-10.75 (1.80m) to win the event, and setting yet another facility record for the Crimson Tide. In women’s long jump, senior Kiara Williams set her own facility record, winning the competition with a jump of 19-11.50 (6.08m). Williams’ jump was over a foot longer than the second-place finisher, and five inches longer than the previous facility record.

To finish off the wins for Alabama, freshman Bobby Colantonio Jr. won his second weight throw event in a row, with a toss of 69-02.5 (21.09m).

Alabama will close its indoor regular season next weekend at three meets, including the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas and the Alex Wilson Invitational in South Bend, Indiana.