Campus dialogues creates ‘space to build relationships’

Audrey Harper, Contributing Writer

Throughout the month of February, The University of Alabama will be hosting a variety of Black History Month-themed events. On Wednesday afternoon, the University’s Crossroads Community Engagement Center will host a Campus Dialogue titled “Being Allies in Racist Spaces on Campus.”

Campus Dialogues, a program hosted by the Crossroads Community Engagement Center, is a weekly event, with past topics including physical disability on campus, problematic Halloween and party costumes and mental health awareness, among many other topics.

Who: Crossroads Community Engagement Center, Office of Student Involvement, Ferguson Student Center

What: Campus Dialogues: “Being Allies in Racist Spaces on Campus”

When: Wednesday, Feb. 13 from 1-1:50 p.m.

Where: The Ferguson Center Great Hall

Why:

“This event is open to all students, faculty, staff, as well as community members,” Assistant Director of Crossroads Paige Bolden said. “It’s an opportunity to come and build relationships and dialogue about national, international or campus events [with] those who are on campus.”

Bolden said there is no registration necessary to attend a Campus Dialogue. If a student is not able to come to this particular one this Wednesday, Bolden said she thinks students, faculty and staff should all come in the future to be able to build connections and hear new perspectives.

“People are always saying that at The University of Alabama we don’t talk about real things, we just kind of sweep it under the rug,” Bolden said. “Campus Dialogues is that space for people to talk about the things you don’t really talk about in a lot of spaces. No matter what the topic is, Campus Dialogues is a great space to build relationships and talk to people you might not have otherwise crossed paths with, which is really what our mission is.”