Tide-Tigers rivalry under scrutiny by fans

Many students from the University of Alabama and Auburn University may describe the rivalry between the two in-state schools using one word – hate.

“We hate them, they hate us,” said Hillary Watson, a UA junior majoring in education. “In fact, I cringe every time I see the color orange.”

But after last week’s Toomer’s Corner tree poisoning, many say the two schools’ rivalry has crossed a line, a line that some feel has been far exceeded by fans from both schools.

People from across the nation have weighed in on the issue, offering ideas on how to cool down the heated rivalry between both schools. Many website chat forums have fans suggesting the two schools stop playing for a while. One fan suggested one school should change conferences before the rivalry goes too far.

Despite the recent uproar, many students from both schools disagree with the outsiders’ perspectives.

Trey Howell, an Auburn University sophomore, said he agreed Harvey Updyke Jr.’s actions went too far and recognized there are some things that need to be changed about the rivalry, but he felt eliminating the Iron Bowl would be foolish.

“To put an end to what I am convinced is the best rivalry in the nation would punish thousands of fans who had nothing to do with the situation,” Howell said. “As much animosity as there may be between the two schools, every team needs a rival to make them strive to be better. Also, the Iron Bowl is a huge deal, not just for the universities but the entire state of Alabama, as well as the SEC, and to put an end to that would hurt everybody involved.”

The Auburn-Alabama football game has been suspended once in its history, but not for dirty play or endangerment of each respective school’s fans. It was because of a contract discrepancy, something that cancelled the Iron Bowl each year from 1907-1948.

“Canceling this great tradition would do more harm than good,” Watson said. “It’s why some of us choose to go to UA or Auburn. We live for the rivalry, and for that reason, it must continue.”

Auburn University head football coach Gene Chizik, along with UA head football coach Nick Saban, offered a joint statement last week to fans of both schools.

“This is an isolated incident by one individual that is not representative of what the greatest rivalry in college football is all about,” the release said. “The players and coaches at both schools have a tremendous amount of respect for each other on and off the field, and we encourage our fans to show that same amount of respect now and in the future. We will move beyond this regrettable incident and continue to enjoy this great rivalry.”

Updyke’s hearing is tentatively scheduled for March 2.