Christian Night Club welcomes performers

The African American Gospel Choir will host their Spring Christian Night Club Event this Saturday night from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Game Room. Not literally a “night club,” the event is more of a Christian-based open mic night.

“It started when we went to our annual retreat,” said Oniska Blevins, member at large in the African American Gospel Choir. “At the retreat they would organize different events and one of them was an event called Christian Night Club, where people had the chance to praise God in their own way. We decided that it would be great to bring it back to the University of Alabama, so we did.”

The event is normally held twice a year. However, this year, the Gospel Choir will host a different event on April 9.

“This year is the African-American Gospel Choir’s 40th anniversary, so we are going to be hosting another event. The event will run along the same lines except on a much larger scale. It will include choirs and performers singing and dancing from all over,” Blevins said.

Although the African-American Gospel Choir hosts the event, students do not have to be members to attend or participate.

“It is a place where anyone – it doesn’t matter what race – can come give glory to God by singing, dancing or the spoken word. You can use whatever talent you possess; all are welcome,” said Amanda Payne, a junior majoring in accounting.

Payne explained that she has not performed at Christian Night Club yet, but when she does, she will probably play the piano and sing.

While singing and dancing are the most common performances, the spoken word has become very popular at the Christian Night Club.

“The spoken word is a very expressive and emotional poem that anyone can write and perform. People are able to express themselves and reach out to God and other people,” said Shakira Savage, a junior majoring in psychology.

Some students who attend Christian Night Club see it as much more than singing and dancing.

“It’s a relaxed atmosphere where you can come share your talents and ministry with each other while touching peoples lives and your own,” said Alysia Nailor, a sophomore majoring in music education.

Students wishing to perform at Christian Night Club should contact Oniska Blevins through her e-mail at [email protected].