Alabama’s Rocket League team prepares for liftoff

CW/ David Jones

Carey Reeder, Staff Writer

Esports (electronic sports) is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. UA senior Jeb Brackner is helping expand its reach at The University of Alabama.

In the spring semester of 2018, Brackner met two other players on one of esports most popular games, Rocket League. In Rocket League, players attempt to outscore each other in a soccer-style game using vehicles.

Brackner and his two teammates were the first Alabama Rocket League team to participate at competitive tournaments. Varying ranks between the players and a loose foundation to build on caused the team to disband.

Last summer, Brackner stumbled upon a discourse online for the Alabama esports club on campus that changed everything. The Alabama esports Club did not have a Rocket League team until Brackner and his teammates joined.

“Through their infrastructure, I was able to attract a lot more Rocket League players,” Brackner said. “Now we have three competitive teams.”

The three teams are all different ranks; Grand Champion and Champion III levels are on the first team. The second team showcases Champion II and I level players. The final team will vary between ranks.

Brackner was promoted to the position of Rocket League coordinator for the esports club this semester and is actively working to make the club more organized and enhance the outreach. Outside the realm of gaming, Brackner wants to include more events such as dodgeball to elevate the experience the club provides and strengthen the team’s bonding.

“It’s getting there, but I would like it more to be of a community where people can practice and just get better. I don’t want to pander to just the high level players,” Brackner said. “There’s a long way to go before it’s as big as I want it to be.”

Brackner reached out to different colleges to set up scrimmages with their Rocket League teams. Auburn University, The University of Tennessee and Kennesaw State University are among the colleges the esports Club is looking to compete with in the near future.

Tyler Sorensen, who is also involved with the Rocket League team, envisions the popularity of Rocket League growing among his peers.

“I do see Rocket League becoming a prominent esport on college campuses,” Sorensen said.

Brackner wants the club to attract more players before Alabama’s Rocket League team can seriously compete on the collegiate level.

“We could certainly use more players that are interested,” Brackner said. “There’s 40,000 people here. There are spots and we can make as many teams as we need for people who want to compete.”

Students interested in joining the esports club are encouraged to look online at the club discourse. Club membership is not required, but is encouraged, according to Brackner, once a student has been involved for a good amount of time.

“I would love to see the Bama esports teams officially sponsored by the University, as it would open many more doors for competition and show the University how diverse, passionate and broad the following of esports is,” Sorensen said.