Women’s basketball bounces back with win over Vanderbilt

CW/ Joe Will Field

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama women’s basketball beat Vanderbilt 84-65, snapping a four-game losing streak and picking up its second-ever win in Memorial Gymnasium. The win put the Crimson Tide at 12-14 (4-9 SEC), while the Commodores fall to 6-20 (1-12 SEC).

The 19-point victory is Alabama’s largest margin of victory since Jan. 14, 1997, beating Ole Miss 78-51.

“I’m really proud of this team and their response after Sunday,” head coach Kristy Curry said in a press release. “We know we need to be consistent with this type of response, but I love the kids in that locker room, all the credit to them because they played their guts out.”

After suffering its worst loss of the season to Auburn 77-38 last Sunday, Alabama responded with a statement win led by junior Cierra Johnson. After being in a slump, the junior found her rhythm once again. Alabama had four players in double figures.

Johnson tallied 25 points shooting 8-of-11, two short of her career high, seven rebounds, and five assists. Sophomore Jasmine Walker recorded 16 points and nine rebounds. Senior Shaquera Wade had 14 points, and freshman Megan Abrams had 10 points.

After a strong start by the Commodores in the first quarter leading 20-18, the Crimson Tide found its shot and never looked back. In the second quarter, Alabama went on a 5-0 run to start the second quarter and another 14-2 run to end it leading 42-27 at halftime.

It was the fourth time this season Alabama had reached the 40-point mark by halftime and the first in SEC play in 2019.

Vanderbilt scored six-straight points in the third quarter to cut Alabama’s lead to nine. However, Alabama responded with an eight-point rally to extend its led 50-33. Both teams traded shots with Alabama leading 63-47 heading into the fourth.

Hitting back-to-back three-pointers from Johnson and Wade, the Crimson Tide had its swagger back that they had in the Tennessee game earlier in the season. Alabama led as many as 27 twice during the game.

The Crimson Tide shot 28-of-53 for 52 percent from the field, while the Commodores shot 20-of-46 for 43 percent. Alabama dominated the paint outscoring Vanderbilt 32-22 and won in rebounds 37-21. Alabama had 13 second-chance points and 12 points off the bench.

Alabama is back in action Sunday, Feb. 24 when it hosts Georgia for Senior Night. Tipoff is slated for 5 p.m.