Dodgeball tournament raises support for March of Dimes

The March of Dimes will be hosting the Dodgeball for Babies tournament Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center in the south gym. Mariah Fairweather, a March of Dimes volunteer, said the event is to promote awareness and support for premature births.

“I hope people have a good time at the event,” Fairweather said. “But I also hope that people will walk away with the understanding of what all March of Dimes does and why it is important.”

Mischa Lewis, campaign director for March of Dimes in Tuscaloosa, said everyone should expect to have a good time, as well as to learn about the issues that the March of Dimes promotes.

“I believe that we will have a good number of people, from ten to fifteen teams, playing,” Lewis said. “We have a DJ from 90.7 FM, The Capstone who created a special mix to get everybody pumped. Our goal is not just a fundraiser but to raise awareness about the March of Dimes, and that’s our main goal.”

Fairweather said the winning teams should expect cash prizes and will hear more about the March of Dimes to prepare for their march in April.

“There will be a prize for first, second and third place and also a prize for the team with the most creative uniform,” Fairweather said.

Lewis said within the organization there are two groups that are promoting the March of Dimes through the Internet and through film.

“We have a group that will show a documentary on the reaction of students to the March of Dimes and what they do know about us,” Lewis said. “Then we will have another documentary after the campaign to show how the March of Dimes has affected the University. We also have a group that is working on our blog at wegot10.tumblr.com.”

Fairweather said it is not too late to register for the dodgeball event; it’s possible to sign up at the door. All the money raised will be given to the March for Babies that will happen in April.

“I’m really excited about the March of Dimes and getting people involved in Tuscaloosa,” Lewis said. “It’s a learning experience.”