Softball stays unbeaten, sweeps on Saturday

By Hannah Saad

James Benedetto, Staff Writer

It’s the top of the sixth, with Alabama holding a three-run lead after a long rain delay. Junior Krystall Goodman returned to the circle after allowing three runs in the top of the fifth. With Missouri State stealing all of the momentum, the game was in danger of slipping out of Alabama’s hands.

With a 2-1 count, Missouri State’s, Kelly Metter, lifted a high fly ball to dead center field. Elissa Brown sprints back and to her right, she tracks the ball, times her jump and snags the ball right above the fence.

The catch preserved the three-run lead, finishing in a 7-5 win against the Bears.

It swung momentum back to Alabama and carried the Crimson Tide to two more wins over Missouri State and no. 24 Minnesota.

“It was crazy. I just saw it pop up, and I just never took my eyes off it,” Brown said. “I didn’t even know it was going over at the time, and I just caught it. It was amazing though.”

The junior center fielder went 3-for-3 against Missouri State. She also stole four bases in that game, tying a school record. Skylar Wallace hit an inside-the-park home run which was Alabama’s final run of the game.

In game two, Brown was tested again after a bloop single dropped in front of her with a Minnesota runner rounding third trying to score. The Eclectic, Alabama native threw the runner out at home beating her by four steps.

“She’s just an electric player,” coach Patrick Murphy said. “She didn’t panic, she timed it perfectly and everything she was supposed to do she did it like Mike Trout. It’s really good for her and it gives us a jolt out of that number nine spot.”

Freshman Montana Fouts got the start again against the Gophers. She gave up two earned runs off three hits, while striking out seven in a complete game going five innings. With the bases loaded a single by KB Sides tied the game at two. Two pitches later, Bailey Hemphill launched a pitch over the left filed fence to give Alabama the lead. Two batters later, senior Reagan Dykes capped off her senior day with a two-run home run pushing Alabama to a 7-2 win.

“It was really fun, this day was incredible,” Dykes said. “That is one thing that Murph does is give the seniors a special day for themselves just to be recognized and for your family to see all of the hard work you put in.”

Alabama looks to finish strong against Louisiana-Monroe. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. CT.