No. 5 softball continues winning streak on Friday

By Hannah Saad

James Benedetto, Staff Writer

No. 5 Alabama remained a perfect 18-0 after defeating Michigan State, 2-1 and Southern Miss, 3-2. Kaylee Tow was the catalyst for the offense. In the two games combined, she hit 3-for-5 with four RBI’s. In game one, her two RBI double was all Alabama needed to beat the Spartans.

“I was just trying to have a lot of fun,” Tow said. “The past couple of games I have been pressing to perform at a certain level and today I was like, ‘You know what Kaylee, you’re playing for Alabama. You are doing what a lot of people would love to do, so just have a lot of fun with it. Don’t waste any at-bats pressuring yourself because when you look back you are going to wish you did not do that.”

After Tow’s RBI double in the second inning, Alabama could only muster two more hits for the rest of the game. Freshman Montana Fouts was once again leaned on heavily in another pitcher’s duel. Fouts pitched a complete game giving up one earned run on five hits and she struck out 11. This is the fourth game this year where Fouts has given up a run in the game. Despite another solid performance from the Grayson, Kentucky native there are still aspects of the game she feels that she could be better at.

“I felt like I could just be better at getting ahead,” Fouts said. “I feel like that was one of the things that kind of hurt us a bit especially when they got hits. They were just ahead and they knew I had to come in with a strike.”

In game two, pitching and defense was once again the key to success for Alabama. In a four-hit effort, the Crimson Tide pushed across three runs with the game-winning and the insurance run coming in the fifth inning. Sarah Cornell and Krystal Goodman combined for another solid pitching outing. Goodman pitched 4 and 2/3 innings,  giving up one earned run on three hits. After going through the rotation twice, coach Patrick Murphy turned to Sarah Cornell to close out the game. The Westbury, New York native went 2 and 1/3 innings, giving up one run on two hits and struck out two.

“It wasn’t Montana’s best game but she didn’t walk anybody and she struck out 11 so how can you complain about that,” Murphy said. “Krystall did exactly what we wanted her to do. She went through the lineup twice, it was a 1-1 game she did her job and then Sarah came in and did her job.”

Alabama looks to improve on its fifth best record in program history. The Crimson Tide will face St. Francis at 1:30 p.m. CT and then will have a rematch with Southern Miss at 4 p.m. CT. Alabama will hold a senior day for Courtney Gettins on Saturday.

“Well we are going to win one for Courtney,” Murphy said. “She is a great kid so hopefully we will have a good day tomorrow to celebrate all she has brought to our program.”