Women’s tennis drops first SEC match

Courtesy+of+Alabama+Athletics+

Courtesy of Alabama Athletics

Joey Blackwell, Contributing Writer

The Alabama women’s tennis squad fell on the road to LSU in its SEC opener Friday, 4-0.

With the loss, the Crimson Tide falls to 10-4 overall and 0-1 in SEC play. The Tigers rise to 11-2 on the season, with a 1-0 record in the conference.

In doubles, LSU won the point off of two victories, with No. 11 Eden Richardson and Jessica Golovin defeating senior No. 62 Andie Daniell and sophomore Moka Ito, 6-2, and No. 57 Paris Corley and Taylor Bridges winning over juniors Ann Selim and Kim Gintrand, 6-4. This started the afternoon by giving the Tigers a 1-0 lead.

Alabama’s lone win in the doubles round would be juniors Alba Cortina Pou and Luca Fabian defeating Anna Loughlin and Kennan Johnson 6-2.

In singles play, the Crimson Tide lost all three matches that were completed against the Tigers, earning LSU three more points, giving it the overall 4-0 victory. First up, Bridges defeated junior Jacqueline Pelletier 6-1, 6-0. Finishing next was Richardson and Daniell, which finished at 6-2, 6-3 in favor of Richardson. Finally, Golovin defeated Ito 6-3, 6-4.

Three matches went unfinished due to LSU jumping out ahead 4-0. The matchups of Johnson vs. Alba Cortina-Pou, Corley vs. Selim, and Luba Vasilyuk vs. Fabian were all ended early.

Alabama will return to the court on Sunday in College Station, Texas, where they will face the No. 24 Texas A&M Aggies. The match is scheduled to start at noon CT.