UAPD alerts students about arrest of fake Uber driver

Jessa Reid Bolling, Assistant News Editor

The University of Alabama Police Department said in an email to students on March 4 that a man is being questioned after falsely portraying an Uber driver.

The email states that a Tuscaloosa County Deputy observed a suspicious vehicle near Highway 43 North and Wallace Drive in Northport at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. The deputy made contact with the driver, identified as 61-year-old Tommy Wayne Beard, and discovered an unconscious college-aged woman in the backseat of the vehicle. Beard told the deputy that he was an Uber driver and was taking the intoxicated woman to her residence.

It was discovered that the 22-year-old UA student female passenger lived just off The University of Alabama’s campus in Tuscaloosa. She said she did not remember getting into Beard’s vehicle and could only remember leaving a bar in downtown Tuscaloosa. Deputies then requested Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit investigators to the scene.

Beard later admitted to investigators that he was not actually an Uber driver but was portraying himself as one. Beard said he had purchased an “Uber” sign for his vehicle and was picking up people and giving them rides.

Investigators also discovered Beard had photographs of college-aged women that appeared to be unconscious while they were in the backseat of his vehicle in his cell phone. Beard admitted to taking photographs of girls that are unconscious in his vehicle when giving them rides.

According to AL.com, authorities have not yet announced any formal charges against Beard but said the investigation is ongoing and that Beard was driving a black 2012 Ford Taurus.

Investigators are asking anyone who has paid Beard for a ride in the past to contact the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit at 205-464-8690.

The email also listed the following safety tips for students to keep in mind when using rideshare services:

“Request rides through the official app. NEVER accept a ride from a driver you have not requested.”

“Schedule your ride inside. Use the official ride share app and wait inside until the app indicates your requested driver has arrived.”

“Plan the safest locations for pickup and drop off. Watch for traffic and make sure you don’t get out in a dangerous location.”

“Verify the ride. Make sure you get into the right car. Verify the license plate and driver info matches what is listed on the app. NEVER get in a car you have not requested and cannot verify just because they say they work for a ride sharing company.”

“Ride in the back AND buckle up. If you’re riding alone, the backseat allows you to exit on the safest side. Seatbelt safety is always important.”

“Share your ride details with someone you trust. Most ride sharing services offer ETA or status sharing opportunities. If that’s not available, snap a photo and send it to a personal contact to let them know your plans.”

“DON’T share your personal details with the driver. Protect your private information and don’t share too many personal details when chatting.”

“Track yourself. Follow the route on your phone’s map to make sure you don’t go off-route.”

“Rate the driver. Share any concerns about your driver or experience so the companies can take action if needed.”

“Be careful about consuming alcohol. Alcohol can impair judgement and impede your ability to follow other safety tips.”

“Follow your instincts. If a situation feels uncomfortable, pay attention. Call 911 if you feel unsafe or in an emergency.”