Baseball continues winning streak against UAB

By Hannah Saad

Cody Estremera, Sports Editor

Alabama baseball kept its winning streak alive with a 4-3 win against UAB, pushing the winning streak to seven.

Alabama did half of its damage in the third inning.

John Trousdale led off with a double down the right-field line. He advanced to third when Joe Breaux laid down a bunt, which he beat out. With runners on the corners, Brett Auerbach drilled a ball up the middle, scoring Trousdale. Breaux was thrown out by a diving Blazer shortstop on the play.

From then on, it was the Crimson Tide’s patience that scored the second run of the frame. Morgan McCullough and Keith Holcombe both drew walks, loading the bases for Tyler Gentry, who singled to the shortstop.

Gentry added an insurance run in the bottom half of the fifth, when he launched a lead-off home run in over the left-center wall.

“It was a slider that just stayed up,” Gentry said. “He fooled with one before, so in my head I just said ‘not going to let that happen again.'”

He finished 3-for-4 with two RBIs.

Alabama’s final run was scored in the sixth. Breaux started the inning with a triple to left. He scored on a sacrifice fly to center hit by Morgan McCullough.

Breaux was the only other batter to finish with multiple hits, finishing 3-for-5 with a run scored.

Alabama had chances to add to its lead throughout the game but failed to capitalize, leaving 10 runners on base.

“I thought today and even the last couple of games, we’re leaving some runs on the board,” coach Brad Bohannon said. “We’re not very efficient with bases loaded and less than two outs, or runner on third with less than two outs. Runner on second, nobody out. We’re just not efficient as we need to be in those areas.”

The Crimson Tide pitching staff kept the Blazers scoreless till the seventh inning.

The inning started with J Paul Fullerton doubling to the right-center gap. He was moved to third after a ground out and scored on a single by Thomas Johns.

Sophomore Garret Rukes started and finished with the win. He went three innings, allowing three hits while striking out a trio of Blazers.

Davis Vainer, Kyle Cameron, Dylan Lee, Casey Cobb and Jeremy Randolph finished the game.

Vainer went two innings, striking out the four batters. Cameron and Lee each went an inning, while Cameron one run. The other two runs were allowed by Cobb.

Randolph came into the game with the bases loaded and no outs in the ninth. He allowed two to cross, but struck out two hitters, recording his second save of the season.

“Just stick to my routine, making sure the game doesn’t speed up on you,” Randolph said.

Alabama is back in action on Wednesday when it hosts South Dakota State at 3 p.m.