Hollingsworth defeated in SGA election, still wants to ‘serve this university as a whole’

Back to Article
Back to Article

CW/ Keely Brewer

CW/ Keely Brewer

CW/ Keely Brewer

CW/ Keely Brewer

Kayla Smith, Contributing Writer

The Student Government Association (SGA) announced that Harrison Adams defeated Marquis Hollingsworth for the position of SGA president shortly before 8 p.m. on March 7.

Due to technical difficulties with the SGA’s livestream, Hollingsworth and his campaign team had to watch the video twice to confirm the results of the election. Several newly elected senators were in attendance at the watch party at the Sky lounge at Riverfront Village, so the reactions to the election results were mixed.

Hollingsworth received 34 percent of student votes, with a total of 4,153 votes, and Adams won the presidency with 64 percent of votes, which was 7,893 total votes.

Following the announcement, Hollingsworth congratulated the new senators and thanked everyone that contributed to his campaign.

Members of Hollingsworth’s campaign team said they were proud of the campaign and its impact.

“I feel that the campaign ran great,” said Maddie Hirschfield, Hollingsworth’s campaign manager. “Everybody involved had great energy, and that’s all we could ask for.”

Cameron Dobbs, a sophomore majoring in news media, said promoting the campaign was easy because of Hollingsworth’s likability.

“I think since there were only two candidates this year, that the independent party really grouped together and supported Marquis [Hollingsworth],” Dobbs said.

After offering his congratulations to Adams, Hollingsworth asked his opponent to make an effort to “serve everybody” and ensure that all students have an “equal opportunity for representation” on campus.

“I’m going to keep doing what I can to serve this university as a whole,” Hollingsworth said. “Change is on the horizon, and I know this university has what it takes to get there.”