Music enthusiasts go backstage to learn from industry leaders

Photo courtesy of Ansley Neely

Katie Ingram, Contributing Writer

Addy Loftin knew she wanted to be a manager for a tour, but after a recent trip behind the scenes of country music star Walker Hayes’ concert, she was re-inspired to achieve that goal.

Hayes stopped at Iron City in Birmingham, Alabama, where University of Alabama Country Music Association Education (CMA EDU) members were able to speak with Hayes’ management team to see firsthand what it is like working on a tour.

Hayes is currently on his 30-stop North American tour. The country music singer rose to popularity with his 2017 song, “You Broke Up With Me,” from the album Boom.

Ansley Neeley, president of The University of Alabama’s chapter of CMA EDU and a senior public relations major, was able to make this event happen for the organization through connections she made from a past internship experience.

“We were able to get a firsthand look at part of Walker Hayes’ soundcheck, tour the venue’s backstage area and learn about what it takes to become a member of an artist’s team,” Neeley said.

Students also had the opportunity to meet with Hayes’ tour manager Brian Hillman and manager Marissa Turk. Hillman and Turk gave tips on how to become successful and make the most of opportunities given in the music and entertainment industry.

The speakers gave out free tickets and meet-and-greet passes for members at the end of the venue tour for the concert later in the day.

One student who wants to work in show photography was approved for a photo pass to cover the event.

Not only were students given perks for attending the event, they were also given tips for networking and the best ways to establish a career in the music and entertainment industry.

CMA EDU is a brand extension of the Country Music Association based in Nashville, Tennessee. Due to this connection, the UA branch of CMA EDU is able to have experiences like this one, as well as being able to work on promotional campaigns, attend award shows and hear from well-known members of the music industry.

“The music industry is extremely relationship-based, and most professionals are more than willing to help out aspiring, young professionals in any way they can,” Neeley said.

The organization is very helpful to students who aspire to be in the music industry.

“Through CMA EDU, I’ve learned about opportunities and career paths that I didn’t even know existed,” said Maddie Hirschfield, a senior communication studies major. “I’ve learned what the music industry is really all about and what it takes to get there and make it. CMA EDU is important to me because without this organization, I wouldn’t have been able to find a way to make my passions into a career.”

The experience also helped some with their goals for the future.

“Being a tour manager is my dream job, so that was really helpful for me to hear tips,” said Addy Loftin, a sophomore public relations major.

Loftin said she was inspired by Hayes’ manager and her accomplishments in the industry.

“Marissa [Turk] really inspires me because she graduated from UA with a public relations degree like me, and she worked her way up to become an artist manager,” Loftin said. “The fact that she is a woman inspires me and shows me that one day, I can do something like that.”