Men’s tennis sweeps Auburn in singles play, defeats Tigers

Courtesy+of+Alabama+Athletics+

Courtesy of Alabama Athletics

Joey Blackwell, Contributing writer

The No. 21 Alabama men’s tennis team defeated in-state rival Auburn 4-1 Friday, sweeping the Tigers in singles play at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.

“Super effort today by the team,” coach George Husack said in a press release. “The opportunity slipped by us in doubles, but we buckled down and competed very well in singles. The more pride we take in our ability to respond to whatever our opponents give us will allow us to give it right back. We will keep practicing this as we build towards a level we want to be as competitors come late Spring.”

The Crimson Tide lost the point in doubles play, with Auburn’s Matteo DeVincentis and Filipino Mora defeating sophomore Alexis Nesterov and junior Zhe Zhou 6-2 in the first match. Alabama’s junior Edson Ortiz and sophomore Ricardo Roberto won 6-4 against Andres Fry and Diego Chavarria, but No. 15 sophomore Patrick Kaukovalta and senior Mazen Osama dropped the final doubles match 7-5 to Brandon Laubser and Tad Maclean to take the doubles point.

Singles, however, was another story for the Crimson Tide.

Roberto started off singles play for Alabama, defeating Laubser 6-3, 6-2. No. 39 Osama soon followed suit, beating DeVincentis 6-1, 6-4, and giving the Crimson Tide a 2-1 overall lead. Sophomore Jeremy Gshwendtner came out on top over Michael Durham, 6-1, 6-2, and Ortiz would finish off Mora 6-3, 6-2, and gave the Crimson Tide the final point to win 4-1.

With the win, the No. 21 Crimson Tide moves to 13-6 overall and is 3-4 in SEC play.

Alabama returns to the court March 29, when it travels to Athens, Ga. to take on the No. 22 Georgia Bulldogs. The match is scheduled for 4 p.m.