Minimester enrollment increases

Students looking to intensify their class load have the opportunity to sign up for supplementary classes offered through the minimester.

The minimester, an initiative the Student Government Association started in 2009 under the Steven Oliver administration, gives students an opportunity to enroll in additional courses subsequent to the initial deadline in January.

“The basis behind starting and maintaining the initiative is simple: to enable students to have as many resources as possible to graduate in four years,” said SGA Vice President of Academic Affairs Aaron Zucker.

Zucker said the minimester is similar to regular classes, just shorter.

“Professors are normal University employees just as they would be for regular classes,” Zucker said. “Registration for Spring II classes are priced the same way as normal classes; pricing is based on hour enrollment.”

Jep Hill, a senior majoring in accounting, was offered a three-month internship in Mobile. Due to the availability of the minimester, he is able to both take classes and have the internship.

“It is both conducive and convenient, because I have been away from campus working as an intern, and the opportunity to return to complete additional credit hours is crucial in allowing me to graduate on time,” Hill said.

Hill said he enjoys the style of the class.

“I tend to learn better when I continually apply myself, and taking classes every day for a shorter period is perfect for me,” he said.

Zucker said certain classes merit one or two credit hours, but most are three.

“Actual time allotment is the same in that there is a minimum requirement that must be met of class time in order for the class to be considered valid,” he said.

Five hundred students are currently enrolled in the Spring II semester, Zucker said. Last spring, 150 students were enrolled in Spring II classes.

“I strongly recommend minimester courses for students, because it allows students who have fallen behind, changed majors or lost transfer hours to get back on par with their original path to graduation,” Zucker said.

“Other students who overestimated their course’s difficulty this semester have the chance to take a course off of later semesters’ schedules,” he said.

Clay McCallum, a senior majoring in political science, said he thinks the minimester is helpful and fitting for his schedule.

“I had never signed up for a minimester prior to this semester,” McCallum said. “But at the start of this semester, I had to drop a few classes that I just couldn’t stand. I thought I was going to be behind hour-wise, but thanks to the minimester, I was able to catch right back up.”

McCallum said the minimester is extremely beneficial, especially to younger students on campus.

“I wish this was around when I was a freshman,” he said. “I had to drop several classes because I thought I needed them and I really didn’t, or I was just having a hard time making myself go to class.

“If the minimester would have been offered back then, I wouldn’t be graduating a semester late,” he said.