Women’s tennis defeats Arkansas at home

CW%2F+Hannah+Saad+

CW/ Hannah Saad

Jack Kennedy, Staff Reporter

Alabama women’s tennis defeated No. 44 Arkansas 4-2 behind four dominant singles performances. Alabama is now 17-10 overall and 5-7 in the SEC heading into its final match on Sunday.

“Overall, great effort by everyone on the team,” head coach Jenny Mainz said. “It was the ultimate team effort because it took everybody.”

The Crimson Tide did not get off to the start they desired in doubles. Juniors Alba Cortina Pou and Luca Fabian started with a 6-3 win, but almost simultaneously, Arkansas defeated Alabama’s No. 3 pair, junior Ann Selim and Kimberly Gintrand. The only match left was senior Andie Daniell and sophomore Moka Ito, who were battling in a back and forth match against their opponents. The match was on serve until the last game of the match when Arkansas won four straight points to break Alabama’s serve and win the doubles point.

“I was disappointed in our doubles point,” Mainz said. “I felt like we had opportunities to close some situations out. We had deuce opportunities that we did not take advantage of.”

In singles, Alabama began to take the momentum from the Razorbacks in the first sets. Daniell, Fabian and junior Jacqueline Pelletier were all forced to a tiebreak in their first set, and all three won the tiebreakers to begin their matches.

In the second set, Daniell did not look back and finished her match with a commanding performance and a 7-6, 6-2 win. Meanwhile, Fabian dominated her second set by winning 6-2. On court No. 6, Selim continued her strong performance from last weekend with a 6-1, 6-1 win and put Alabama up 3-2 with two matches still to be played.

On court No. 3, Cortina Pou suffered a loss in her first set, 6-4, where she had multiple double faults including one a deuce point. Despite the tough first set, she responded with a hard fought 6-4 second set win and then used the momentum to close out the match 6-0 in the third set

“After the first set, I tried to be positive,” Cortina Pou said. “If you are in the match and are fighting, you are going to get a good outcome.”

Alabama will face Missouri at 1 P.M. on Sunday and celebrate Daniell’s storied career for Senior Day