Women’s golf finishes 11th at SEC Championships

Carey Reeder, Contributing Writer

Jiwon Jeon finished tied for fifth-place to lead the Alabama Crimson Tide women’s golf team at the 2019 SEC Women’s Golf Championships. Alabama finished in 11th-place overall with a 54-hole score of 893 (301-292-305).

Jeon improved every day over the course of the three days and shot a 2-under par 70 on Friday for her best round. Jeon moved up 10 spots behind her Friday score to fifth with an overall score of 1-under par 215 (73-72-70) earning her second top-five finish and her team-leading 12th round of par or better this season.

Alabama did not qualify for the match play portion of the event finishing six strokes back of the cut line.

“Well, we wanted to be playing tomorrow and we are not,” head coach Mic Potter said in a press release. “We had a golden opportunity after nine holes today with a five-shot advantage on the ninth-place team. Right now, we are just trying to figure out what happened at the turn. We need to see what happened mindset wise and correct it.”

Kenzie Wright finished tied for 16th-place overall with a 4-over par 220 (76-69-75) and posting a 3-over par 76 on Friday. Her second round score of 69 was one of only nine rounds in the sixties throughout the three-day event.

Sophomore Angelica Moresco finished tied for 36th-place with a 9-over par 225 (77-70-78). Junior Anna Reid (75-87-82/244) and freshman Mary Mac Trammell (87-81-92/260) rounded out the Crimson Tide golfers.

Alabama will hope to earn a bid to the NCAA regionals for the 14th straight season on Wednesday, April 24 at 4:30 p.m. as the NCAA Women’s Golf Selection Show airs on the GolfChannel.