Grady resigns after four years as VP of student life

Rebecca Griesbach, News Editor

David Grady, the vice president of the Division of Student Life at the University of Alabama, announced his resignation in an email sent to UA students and faculty on Friday, July 26. 

“We appreciate David’s service to our university, and the work he has done with our students over the last four years,” UA president Stuart Bell said in the email. “We will begin a national search immediately to fill this important role.”

Grady joined the University’s division of student life in June of 2015, after serving in student life for 27 years at the University of Iowa. Grady obtained his master’s degree in administration, planning and social policy from Harvard University in 1985 and his doctorate degree in higher education administration from the University of Texas in 1992. 

Grady’s duties as vice president for student life included managing a $90 million budget and supervising a staff of about 1,300 part-time employees and 300 full-time employees from the following organizations: 

• Assessment & Planning
  • The Blackburn Institute
  • Career Center
  • Center for Service and Leadership
  • Collegiate Recovery and Intervention Services
  • Counseling Center
  • Dean of Students
  • Ferguson Student Center
  • First Year Experience and Parent Programs
  • Fraternity and Sorority Life
  • Housing and Residential Communities
  • Student Affairs Advancement
  • Student Health Center and Pharmacy
  • Student Conduct
  • Student Government Association
  • Student Involvement
  • Student Media
  • University Programs
  • University Recreation
  • Veteran and Military Affairs
  • Women and Gender Resource Center

While a search for Grady’s replacement is conducted, Kathleen Cramer will take Grady’s spot as interim vice president for student life. Cramer retired from the University in 2012 after 36 years. Her service included 10 years as senior associate vice president for student affairs. 

Since her retirement, Cramer has continued to be involved in the campus community. In 2017, Cramer was appointed to head up the Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner program, an effort between the University of Alabama and the West Alabama community to address needs of sexual assault survivors in the region. In fall 2018, Cramer was appointed interim dean of students after former dean of students Tim Hebson took a position as the associate vice president of student life this year. Cramer holds three degrees from The University of Alabama.