UPDATE: Eyabi Anoma enters his name into transfer portal again

CW / Hannah Saad

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

UPDATE July 28, 2019: Eyabi Anoma has officially entered his name into the transfer portal on Sunday, July 28.

The former five-star recruit from Baltimore, Maryland, has entered his name into the transfer portal once before in February but withdrew it within 24 hours.

Sophomore outside linebacker Eyabi Anoma, one of Alabama’s potential breakout players for the 2019 season, is “currently not attending classes” at the University, according to a report from The Tuscaloosa News.

The report adds another question mark to the list for the talented pass rusher. In December he missed a day of practice to “sort some things out,” according to coach Nick Saban. Anoma then entered his name in the NCAA transfer portal in February before removing it a day later.

Teammates and Saban have praised Anoma’s progress this offseason. Senior defensive lineman Raekwon Davis said he’s been “a whole different Eyabi” and junior linebacker Dylan Moses said he is transitioning into “something dangerous” and just needs to focus on improving.

Alabama’s preseason fall camp opens next Thursday, August 1, and Anoma cannot participate if he is not enrolled at the university. If Anoma does not return to the team, he leaves the team even more thin at outside linebacker.

Senior Anfernee Jennings returns, as do redshirt junior Terrell Lewis and sophomore Christopher Allen, but the latter two are returning from serious knee injuries that sidelined them for all of last season. Redshirt junior Ben Davis has seen the field sparingly in his three years, and the rest of the team’s outside linebackers have no in-game experience.

This story will be updated.