City will add dumpsters around campus to aid students with moving

Ben Lasseter, Contributing Writer

Nine added dumpsters will be available around Tuscaloosa from Aug. 3 to 18 in areas where students are moving out and leaving trash behind.

Ragged furniture, broken appliances and other debris are already overflowing Tuscaloosa curbs as leases begin to run out. According to a press release, environmental services hopes to “assist students and their families in the removal of household waste that accumulates during the moving process.”

Dumpster locations:

• 5th Avenue at 16th Street
  • Meador Drive at Cloverdale
  • 8th Avenue at 11th Street
  • 11th Avenue at 12th Street
  • 12th Street (behind Tutwiler)
  • 7th Avenue at 13th Street
  • 9th Avenue between 12th and 13th Street
  • 12th Street at 14th Avenue
  • Thomas Street

The new dumpsters will be marked with “move-in/move-out signage,” and the city does not want contractors or businesses to use them.

The release also reminds those moving to minimize garbage by recycling cardboard boxes, plastic bottles #1 and #2, plastic bags, aluminum cans, steel soup cans, newspapers, magazines and office paper. To recycle these items, place them in blue bins or take them to one of the drop-off recycling trailers in the city. 

You can view a detailed drop-off map below.

Map courtesy of Tuscaloosa.com

Electronics can be recycled at the Richard A. Curry Environmental Services Center at 3440 Kauloosa Ave. 

Tuscaloosa 311, a customer-service hotline for non-emergency City services and information, will take calls during move-in weekend from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Aug. 17 and from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Aug. 18. 

Call Tuscaloosa 311 or visit Tuscaloosa.com to learn more about move-in/move-out or recycling in Tuscaloosa.