City will add dumpsters around campus to aid students with moving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ben Lasseter, Contributing Writer

Nine added dumpsters will be available around Tuscaloosa from Aug. 3 to 18 in areas where students are moving out and leaving trash behind.

Ragged furniture, broken appliances and other debris are already overflowing Tuscaloosa curbs as leases begin to run out. According to a press release, environmental services hopes to “assist students and their families in the removal of household waste that accumulates during the moving process.”

Dumpster locations:

• 5th Avenue at 16th Street
  • Meador Drive at Cloverdale
  • 8th Avenue at 11th Street
  • 11th Avenue at 12th Street
  • 12th Street (behind Tutwiler)
  • 7th Avenue at 13th Street
  • 9th Avenue between 12th and 13th Street
  • 12th Street at 14th Avenue
  • Thomas Street

The new dumpsters will be marked with “move-in/move-out signage,” and the city does not want contractors or businesses to use them.

The release also reminds those moving to minimize garbage by recycling cardboard boxes, plastic bottles #1 and #2, plastic bags, aluminum cans, steel soup cans, newspapers, magazines and office paper. To recycle these items, place them in blue bins or take them to one of the drop-off recycling trailers in the city. 

You can view a detailed drop-off map below.

Map courtesy of Tuscaloosa.com

Electronics can be recycled at the Richard A. Curry Environmental Services Center at 3440 Kauloosa Ave. 

Tuscaloosa 311, a customer-service hotline for non-emergency City services and information, will take calls during move-in weekend from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Aug. 17 and from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Aug. 18. 

Call Tuscaloosa 311 or visit Tuscaloosa.com to learn more about move-in/move-out or recycling in Tuscaloosa.