Premier Awards honor student role models

To many students at the University, the Premier Awards may sound like just another prestigious set of honors that commend students’ intellectual accomplishments and high grade point average. However, the Premier Awards take on a much different role.

“UA presents these awards to recognize students who have made a tangible difference in our University community,” said Marshall Houston, the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award winner. “These awards differ from purely academic awards because each award weighs different contributions to society, while also factoring in academic achievement.”

The Sullivan Award is given to one male and one female who display a character that exemplifies scholarship, leadership and service, according to the University’s Premier Awards description.

Some past winners of this award include Kendra Key, Alex Flachsbart and Trey Hayes.

Along with the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, the other Premier Awards include the William P. Bloom Award, the Morris Lehman Mayer Award, the Catherine J. Randall Award and the John Frazer Ramsey Award.

“The day I found out I won the Ramsay, I spent hours researching John Fraser Ramsay and reading stories of his students and past winners of the award,” said Lindsay Lindsey, the John Fraser Ramsey Award winner. “I realized just how influential a man and professor he was. He inspired his students, pushed them to greatness and he became a patriarch of a family of likeminded people.”

Although the recipients are hand-selected for their specific awards, many of the recipients had admiration for them long before they had ever applied.

“When I was a freshman at the University, I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Mayer at a dinner,” said Ellyn Hamm, the Morris Lehman Mayer Award winner. “Throughout the dinner people were surrounding him. People were even waiting in line to get to talk to him and everyone walked away with a huge smile on their face after getting the chance to catch up or meet Dr. Mayer.”

Hamm said for her personally, this award was so significant because it meant that the committee saw the same selfless, humble and influential qualities possessed by Mayer, in her. She hopes to touch as many lives as Mayer.

The Premier Awards not only include cash prizes ranging from $1,000 to $6,000 and University prestige but also comes with more long-lasting benefits.

“This award introduces me to the Randall Award Family,” said Darryl Outlaw, the Catherine J. Randall Award winner. “This consists of the group of previous award winners, as well as Dr. Catherine Randall, who has already served as a great role model and friend. Dr. Randall is always willing to mentor and help her students. As a hopeful medical oncologist, this award will always tie me to The University of Alabama and Randall family.”

Outlaw said the Catherine J. Randall Award is presented to a student who exceeds in scholarship, course study and extraordinary scholarly endeavors.

“One of my favorite quotes is ‘To whom much is given, much is required,’” Hamm said. “I have been given many opportunities and experiences during my four years at the University. I hope that over that last four years I have already started to give back to this community that has already given me so much and winning this award only further compels me to continue giving back.”