PRACTICE REPORT: First day of fall camp

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

The wait is over for the Alabama football fandom, as the team opened fall camp on an overcast Friday afternoon. Here are our observations from the opening practice of the season:

Junior outside linebacker Terrell Lewis was out with the rest of the group but was limited. He had a thin sleeve over his right knee, which he injured last July. He didn’t participate as the other OLBs quick-stepped through a grid, but when they paired up to simulate getting around an offensive tackle, he and senior Anfernee Jennings were partners and both were participating.

The order of the OLBs was Jennings, Lewis (if he had participated), Chris Allen, Ben Davis and Jarez Parks, followed by freshmen Kevin Harris II and King Mwikuta.

All of the defensive linemen were present except junior LaBryan Ray, who is battling an ankle injury. The first set of D-linemen was Raekwon Davis, D.J. Dale, Tevita Musika and Justin Eboigbe. The second line consisted of Stephon Wynn Jr., Byron Young, Antonio Alfano and Phidarian Mathis.

The cornerbacks went through drills two at a time as two others ran receivers’ routes. Patrick Surtain II and Trevon Diggs were the first pair, followed by Josh Jobe and freshman Marcus Banks, then freshman Brandon Turnage and Jalyn Armour-Davis.

Junior tight end Miller Forristall was not present due to a foot injury. Cameron Latu, Major Tennison and Giles Amos ran routes alongside the wide receivers.

Sophomore Jerome Ford was the third running back through the order, after Najee Harris and Brian Robinson Jr. and ahead of freshman Trey Sanders.

Alabama’s annual Media Day is set to begin with Coach Nick Saban’s press conference at 9:45 a.m. Saturday morning. Offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian will follow him at 10:05 a.m., then defensive coordinator Pete Golding will address the media at 10:20 a.m.

Players will be available at 11:10, and the team’s only open practice of the year begins at 2:30 p.m. in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Fans may enter through Gates 9 and 19 beginning at 1:30 p.m.