PRACTICE REPORT: Three starters not practicing

CW / Joe Will Field

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

The first full week of Alabama’s fall camp is in the books after a practice under the sun on Friday afternoon. Here are our observations from the media viewing period:

Junior Dylan Moses was out with the rest of the inside linebackers but was in sneakers and did not participate in any drills during the viewing period. Senior Josh McMillon led the group through drills, followed by Markail Benton and Shane Lee.

Defensive linemen D.J. Dale and LaBryan Ray were still not practicing, and freshman running back Trey Sanders was not seen with the rest of the RBs.

After starting in their individual position groups, the defensive backs came together to work on what appeared to be the team’s dime defense. They worked one half of the field at a time, so some of the configurations were unusual. For one rep Trevon Diggs was at outside corner, Patrick Surtain II was at Star and Jared Mayden was at safety. No surprises there, but on the other side Daniel Wright played safety because Shyheim Carter was playing Star and Xavier McKinney was playing Money. Jalyn Armour-Davis was at the outside corner spot with that group. Josh Jobe and freshman DeMarcco Hellams rotated in later.

The offensive linemen appeared to be working on combo blocks with centers and right guards. The first pair was Chris Owens and Emil Ekiyor Jr., the second was Hunter Brannon and Florida State graduate transfer Landon Dickerson, and the third was Darrian Dalcourt and Kendall Randolph.

The outside linebackers continued to be led by Anfernee Jennings, Terrell Lewis, Chris Allen and Ben Davis. Coach Sal Sunseri corrected freshman King Mwikuta after one rep. When Mwikuta tripped on the next rep, Sunseri said to the media, “I hope y’all videoed that and sent it back to Georgia!”

The team will hold its first scrimmage of fall camp in Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday afternoon.