PRACTICE REPORT: Fall camp reaches halfway point

CW / Joe Will Field

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

Alabama reached the halfway point of fall camp on Tuesday afternoon with its 10th of 20 practices. Here are our observations from the viewing period inside the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility:

Freshman offensive lineman Evan Neal was again spotted working with the first-teamers at left guard. The first-team offensive line, from left to right, was Alex Leatherwood, Neal, Emil Ekiyor Jr., Matt Womack, Jedrick Wills Jr. 

The first-team dime defense still looks the same, with Shyheim Carter and Jared Mayden at safety. When Dylan Moses left the inside linebackers to work with the dime defense, the first pair of ILBs was Shane Lee and Ale Kaho.

The running backs worked on catching tosses from the quarterbacks. Brian Robinson Jr. dropped one from Mac Jones and took another rep from Taulia Tagovailoa. Then the RBs caught short passes near the sideline and turned upfield.

The defensive backs split into two lines, one for cornerbacks and one for safeties, before moving into 7-on-7 work. On each rep one player would simulate a receiver’s route and another would practice his angle and tackling technique — not full contact, of course.

The receivers ran routes in pairs, with DeVonta Smith and Henry Ruggs III leading off, followed by Jerry Jeudy and Slade Bolden. 

Alabama has another evening practice on Wednesday beginning at 7:30 p.m.