Safety tips, kits offered for spring break

Students received spring break safety kits on Wednesday that were filled with sunscreen, hand sanitizer, Band Aids, Tylenol and candies with healthy messages on them encouraging them to make healthy decisions this break.

This week, there may be rain drops and rain boots everywhere, but next week students hope to enjoy sunshine as they travel to beaches for vacation or home to rest.

“We encourage students to think critically about the decisions they are making before they make them,” said Michelle Harcrow, assistant director of health education and promotion. “There was once a saying we used: ‘Today’s decisions are tomorrow’s memories, so how do you want to remember today?’”

There are many aspects to having a safe spring break and Dean of Students Tim Hebson sent a University-wide e-mail March 4 including some ways to remain safe.

The e-mail included tips, such as locking doors and windows at all times, even when at home, always being aware of your surroundings and calling the police in times of emergency.

Harcrow said while there is always talk about the larger scale things, such as alcohol and date rape, there are little things students should remember to do, as well.

“Students should remember to stay in groups, have a plan, wear sunscreen if you are going to be in the sun for long periods of time and wear your seatbelt,” Harcrow said. “Students should even remember simple things like getting rest, sleeping and remaining hydrated.”

Hebson also advised students to always be aware of their surroundings, look out for each other and walk in groups in well-lit areas.

He said it’s important to remember that students who are impaired are at greater risk for harm to person and property.

Harcrow said spring break should be a time when students rejuvenate themselves for the second half of the semester.

“Oftentimes students don’t realize the importance of these statements until something goes wrong, but students should listen because we are the University’s health professionals and want all students to be safe,” she said.

Harcrow said her office offers the safety kits every year around spring break. She said she wants all students to come back to the University after break better than ever.