PRACTICE REPORT: Football competes in its second scrimmage

CW / Hannah Saad

James Benedetto, Assistant Sports Editor

On a day where the University of Alabama campus was filled for move-in day, Alabama was inside Bryant-Denny Stadium for its second and final scrimmage of fall camp. Here are our observations from the media viewing period:

D.J. Dale returned just in time for Saturday’s scrimmage. The defensive lineman missed a week and a half of camp due to a knee injury. Dale worked at nose tackle with the third team between true freshman Ishmael Sopsher, Byron Young and Antonio Alfano. 

On the offensive line redshirt senior Matt Womack was not at practice as he recovers from an undisclosed injury. Emil Ekiyor Jr. was in with the first team at right guard while Chris Owens took some reps at center. It is unclear if Owens and Ekiyor will remain at those positions to start the season as Landon Dickerson has taken reps with the first team in practices leading up to the second scrimmage.

As the media period came to a close, the team worked on its nickel defense. True freshman Christian Harris took some reps next to Dylan Moses at the “Will” position. At OLB Christopher Allen lined up on the opposite side of Anfernee Jennings. Terrell Lewis was also spotted at practice without a knee brace on. Lewis went second in the individual drills behind Jennings and before Allen.

The WRs and TEs worked on hitch routes prior to the scrimmage. The receiver order remained the same as Henry Ruggs III, DeVonta Smith and Jerry Jeudy all took first rep snaps as expected. Chadarius Townsend was taking reps at running back not at wide receiver.

Check back in around 3:30 as coach Nick Saban will address the media to comment on the scrimmage.