Soccer wins rain-delayed match over Utah

CW / Hannah Saad

Joey Blackwell, Staff Reporter

A lengthy weather delay couldn’t drown out Alabama soccer as the Crimson Tide defeated the Utah Utes 3-0 on Sunday.

After a rocky, foul-ridden start to the season on Thursday that saw the Crimson Tide lose to No. 22 BYU, Alabama rebounded Sunday to pick up a win in its first-ever matchup against Utah.

“Obviously we were a bit discouraged after the BYU game, but we bounced back,” head coach Wes Hart said. “We had one of our best performances we’ve had in a long while here.”

After a slow start, Alabama scored its first goal of the season with a 20-yard shot by junior Brynn Martin in the 31st minute, assisted by sophomore Riley Mattingly.

“I just want to give all the credit to my team,” Martin said. “As the outside back I haven’t really played that position here at Alabama yet, so I just knew I needed to fill in the roles that previous outside backs have played. I knew Riley [Mattingly] could take that girl on and beat her and I was open off the top and I just knew I had the shot wide open.”

After a 94-minute weather delay and a two-minute halftime break, the teams emerged from the locker room to continue play.

The Crimson Tide came out swinging in the second half, dominating possession by keeping the ball on the Utes’ side of the field.

In the 73rd minute, freshman Macy Clem scored her first career goal, assisted by junior Casey Wertz.

“We put Utah on their heels tonight,” Clem said. “It’s really exciting. I’m a holding midfielder and so I typically don’t get up there to score a lot, so to get the chance to get in the box and be able to put one in and put one on the board for my team is just awesome.”

Wertz scored on a penalty kick just four minutes later, giving the Crimson Tide the 3-0 lead, which would be the final score of the contest.

In total, Alabama registered 15 shots on the day, with 10 of them being on goal. The Crimson Tide racked up 13 fouls, but only one yellow card was given to junior forward Chloe Maize, which is an improvement over the Alabama’s three-card performance against BYU.

Utah finished the game with eight shots, all in the second half. Four of those shots were on goal, and the team had six fouls with no yellow cards.

Alabama’s next match is Thursday when it travels to Houston to take on the Rice Owls. The match is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. CT.