News brief: Joel Brouwer named UA Associate Provost

Keely Brewer, Contributing Writer

Joel Brouwer, a member of the University of Alabama English department, will assume his appointment as associate provost for faculty affairs on Sept. 1 following the resignation of Dr. Jennifer Greer, who took a position at the University of Kentucky this month. 

Since his initial involvement in the department as a visiting professor nearly two decades ago, he has been recognized as assistant professor, associate professor, professor, and most recently as the chair of the English department in 2014. His contributions to the University extend to his instruction of both undergraduate and graduate creative writing courses along with his three years as director of the Master of Fine Arts program in creative writing. 

Brouwer was recognized for his contributions to the University in 2012 as the recipient of the 2012 Burnum Distinguished Faculty Award.  

Brouwer is a graduate of Sarah Lawrence College and Syracuse University and the author of several collections of poetry, including And So, Centuries, and Exactly What Happened. 

According to an email sent to the English department by Brouwer, he will utilize this position to update and implement faculty personnel policies, collaborate with Human Resources to provide professional development opportunities, and address faculty issues on behalf of the Office for Academic Affairs. Additionally, he used this email to express his excitement for his upcoming position and his gratitude for his time spent as the chair of the English department. 

Dean Joseph Messina of the University’s College of Arts and Sciences will soon appoint an interim chair of the department for the 2019-2020 academic year to fill Brouwer’s position.