Collegiate recovery program celebrates National Recovery Month

Ceara Burden | @cearaburden, Contributing Writer

The UA Collegiate Recovery and Intervention Services (CRIS) at the University of Alabama is hosting a series of events throughout the month of September celebrating National Recovery Month. 

Events include the inaugural Run for Recovery, sober tailgates, Narcan training and various other events. The CRIS is located at 1100 Jackson Avenue in the University’s South Lawn Office Building. 

SOBER TAILGATES

The CRIS is hosting sober tailgates for the following home games: Sept. 7 against New Mexico, Sept. 21 against Southern Mississippi and Sept. 28 against Ole Miss. All tailgates are located on the Quad near Denny Chimes. The tents are marked by yellow balloons signifying a sober location and contain television, seating, and catered food. On the weekend of the away South Carolina game (Sept. 14-15), the CRIS is hosting the Camp Cosby Sober retreat, where participants can get involved in a variety of outdoor activities such as kayaking and hiking. 

“The Camp Cosby retreat is an opportunity for students in recovery in the state of Alabama to work together and support each other,” said Dr. Gerard Love, executive director of Collegiate Recovery and Intervention Services. 

NARCAN TRAINING

Additionally, as part of National Recovery Month, the CRIS is offering free Narcan training on Sept. 24. Narcan, or naloxone in the generic version, is a life-saving drug used to treat opioid overdose. According to Addiction Center online, common opioids include fentanyl, hydrocodone, heroin and morphine. 

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), there are three types of FDA-approved Narcan available: injectable, auto-injectable and nasal spray. Narcan works to reverse the effects of an opioid overdose when given at the first signs of overdose, but only for 30 to 90 minutes. According to the NIDA, Narcan does not completely reverse an overdose, but rather treats symptoms until a victim receives medical attention. 

MOVIE SCREENINGS

The CRIS is also hosting a screening of Ben is Back on Sept. 24. The film stars Julia Roberts, who portrays a mother attempting to keep her son clean as he returns from rehab on Christmas Eve (Rotten Tomatoes).

“The holidays are a high-pressure situation for many ‐ which can be triggering for any person,” said Hillary Groover, the program manager at Collegiate Recovery Community.

The Pat Moore Foundation is a highly ranked, California-based alcohol and drug detox and treatment center that focuses on recovery. On its website, CEO Joe Floyd discussed the reasons why holidays can be especially difficult times for those struggling with addictions.

“The period from Thanksgiving to New Year’s is a time when many drug addicts and alcoholics try to ignore their condition to participate in the camaraderie and festivities of family gatherings, company parties and the like,” Floyd said. “This behavior typically results in increased drug and alcohol abuse, especially among those who are already addicts.” 

RUN FOR RECOVERY

The inaugural Run for Recovery will be held on Sept. 29 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the UREC Outdoor Pool Complex. Online pre-registration for the event is open until Sept. 25 and costs $20. Participants may also register on-site on Sept. 29, where registration will cost $25. Packet Pickups for the event will take place on Sept. 26 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Ferguson Center Courtyard, as well as on Sept. 27 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ferguson Center Courtyard and from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the UREC Outdoor Pool Complex, and on Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. at the UREC Outdoor Pool Complex. 

WEEKLY SEMINARS

The CRIS also hosts weekly events throughout the year. On Mondays, the CRIS teaches yoga at 4 p.m. Yoga instructors are provided in partnership with University Recreation. On Tuesdays from Sept. 3 to Sept. 17, the center will host FORGE seminars at 5:30 p.m. 

“Our weekly seminars are designed to engage students in academic recovery and personal enhancement,” Groover said.

RECOVERY NIGHT

Each Wednesday, the center hosts a lunch at noon. On Thursdays, the center hosts seminars at 5:30 p.m. as well as Recovery Night at 7 p.m. in Farrah Hall. Anyone is open to attend Recovery Night and share stories, or simply listen. Love said Recovery Night gives individuals in recovery a chance to share their stories and show “how resilient people can be.”

“It is easy to succumb to the pressures that popularly exist in the college scene,” said Emma Givens, a sophomore majoring in nursing. “Therefore, I think a recovery center is a wonderful resource to have available on a college campus.”

ROADS

Additionally, CRIS has introduced a new student-run organization this fall called ROADS, focusing on addiction and recovery within the college community. Students interested should contact [email protected].

“We are here, we exist,” Groover said. “These resources are on campus to help all.”

For more information about the Collegiate Recovery and Intervention Services and the full schedule of all events for National Recovery Month, visit the CRIS’s website at https://cris.sa.ua.edu/. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, you may contact the national drug and alcohol abuse hotline at 1-844-289-0879 or visit their website at http://drughelpline.org/.