BREAKING: Provost Whitaker announces plans to retire

Kevin Whitaker, the current provost of the University of Alabama, announced plans earlier this semester to retire in 2020. Photo courtesy of UA

Jessa Reid Bolling | @jr_bolling, Assistant News Editor

Kevin Whitaker, executive vice president and provost at the University of Alabama, announced his plans to retire in 2020.

The announcement was made at 3 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 12. Whitaker was named to his current position in Dec. 16, 2016 and has served in this position since Jan. 1, 2017. He has served as interim provost since June 2015 after the retirement of Joe Benson. He also chaired the University’s Strategic Planning Council while interim provost.

“It has been an honor to serve this great institution for more than 30 years,” Whitaker said in the statement. “I’ve seen a lot of growth in that time as we raised the national profile of this university by investing in outstanding students and faculty, incredible facilities and impactful research, scholarship and creative activities.”

Whitaker has served in multiple academic roles at the University since 1987. He served as associate dean for academic programs in the College of Engineering from 2000 to 2014. He also served as associate provost for academic affairs from 2014 to 2015 and interim provost from 2015 to 2016.

“We appreciate the leadership Kevin has provided over the years, and the dedication and passion he has brought to all of his roles at the University,” President Stuart Bell said in the statement. “I know all of Kevin’s colleagues and former students wish him all the best as he begins his retirement. We will launch a national search to fill this very important position.”

Whitaker obtained his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from General Motors Institute in 1980 and his master’s and doctoral degrees from Texas A&M University in 1982 and 1986. 

Whitaker will continue to serve in the position until a new executive vice president and provost is hired. He said he plans to retire in 2020 after giving the University time to select someone to take his place. 

University spokesperson Chris Bryant could not be reached by the time of publication. This story will be updated as it develops.