Biology expert to speak on evolution

Douglas Futuyma, a leading researcher in ecology and evolution who teaches at Stony Brook University in New York, will be speaking on the theory of evolution in his lecture, “Evolution: The Most Important Theory in Biology.” The lecture will take place tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Biology building.

“Dr. Futuyma is an expert on evolutionary biology,” said Lesile Rissler, an assistant professor of biology. “He’s the member of the National Academy of Sciences and author of one of the most successful evolution textbooks on the market.”

Rissler said the Alabama Lectures on Life’s Evolution, known as ALLELE, event has seen impressive attendance for the past five years.

“We almost always pack the Biology Auditorium with upwards of 300 people,” Rissler said. “It has even helped launch a new minor at the University—evolutionary studies. This minor is housed in Anthropology and co-directed by Drs. Christopher Lynn (anthropology) and myself (biological studies),” she said.

Rissler said evolution is one of the most misunderstood concepts in society, yet Futuyma will explain how evolution is the most important theory in biology.

“If you attend more than one ALLELE lecture, you will also understand how ideas in evolution extend to other fields like philosophy, psychology, anthropology, geology, communication science, medicine, business and even religious studies,” she said.

Rissler said she hopes the lecture will encourage students to understand our world and how important it is to realize how it works.

“I hope students can see the power of evolutionary thinking—the overwhelming evidence that shows that evolution is a fact, and the profound insights that an evolutionary perspective provides to understanding life on this planet,” she said.

If You Go

What: Evolution: The Most Important Theory in Biology

When: Tonight at 7:30

Where: Biology Building