Senior vice chancellor to retire from UA System in 2020

Photo courtesy of UA System

Rebecca Griesbach | @rebach97, News Editor

Amid a flurry of senior leadership changes at the University of Alabama, another executive transition is in order at the system level. 

According to a Sept. 20 press release from the University of Alabama System, Tonjanita Johnson, an Alabama native and veteran academic leader, will succeed Charles Ray Nash as senior vice chancellor for academic and student affairs. Nash, who joined the UA System in 1992, will serve until Dec. 31, 2019 as senior vice chancellor and will retire in July 2020 after 28 years of service. 

As senior vice chancellor, Nash was responsible for advising the Chancellor on academic and student policy matters and providing primary leadership in program planning, development and review. He was also the System’s liaison to the Alabama Departments of Education, Postsecondary, and the Alabama Commission on Higher Education.

Dr. Nash earned his bachelor’s degree from Jackson State University, his master’s degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and his doctorate from Mississippi State University. He is a graduate of leadership development programs at Harvard, Stanford and Oxford University and has received many civic and professional awards. 

Johnson will join the UA System on Dec. 2 and assume the title of senior vice chancellor for academic and student affairs on Jan. 1, 2020.  She is currently executive vice president and chief operating officer for the University of Tennessee system, where she is second in command to the UT system President. 

The UA System is governed by the Board of Trustees and covers the University of Alabama’s three campuses: Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and Huntsville. According to its website, the system is the leading employer in the state, contributing to an economic impact of over $10 billion a year. 

A native of Butler, Alabama, Johnson will return to her home state after holding leadership positions with the State University of New York at Stony Brook, Middle Tennessee State University and Mississippi Valley State University in addition to her senior cabinet-level role with the UT System.  A charter member of the University of Alabama Library Leadership Board since 1999, she is a member of the Council of Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Board of Trustees and the University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine Board of Visitors. 

Johnson earned her undergraduate and master’s degrees in communications from the University of Alabama and received her Ph.D. in urban higher education at Jackson State (MS) University.  A communications specialist at the University of Alabama from 1993-1996, she is a former higher education reporter at the Decatur Daily.

In addition to administrative leadership positions, Johnson held faculty appointments at Stony Brook, Middle Tennessee State, Mississippi Valley State and Herzing University. She was assistant director of the University of Alabama Minority Journalism Workshop from 1988-1991.   

“Dr. Tonja Johnson brings 30 years of impressive higher education experience to her position with our System,” Chancellor Finis St. John said in the release. “As Senior Vice Chancellor she will provide oversight and leadership in academic planning, institutional research and programmatic coordination.  We look forward to her arrival as we ensure a seamless transition following Dr. Nash’s distinguished tenure.”