PRACTICE REPORT: Tight end absent; linebacker returns

CW / Hannah Saad

Alabama continued its preparations for Saturday’s SEC home opener against Ole Miss on Tuesday. Here are our observations from the media viewing period:

Redshirt junior Miller Forristall was not spotted with the rest of the tight ends. Redshirt sophomore Major Tennison led the group through drills.

Raekwon Davis, Phidarian Mathis and Justin Eboigbe were the first trio of defensive linemen, with D.J. Dale holding blocking pads and not participating. Coach Nick Saban said on Monday that he expected Dale to be back practicing on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Saban said the same about redshirt junior outside linebacker Terrell Lewis, who was fully involved in drills during the viewing period. OLB coach Sal Sunseri had other players and assistants act as offensive tackles, guards and a running back while Lewis simulated his rush. After a mistake by an assistant Sunseri shouted, “I swear to God, I’m gonna go ballistic.”

When the offensive line worked with tackles and guards, Alex Leatherwood and freshman Evan Neal were the first pair on the left and Landon Dickerson and Jedrick Wills Jr. were on the right. Redshirt junior Deonte Brown was the second right guard and did not take reps at left guard during the viewing period.

The first-team dime defense looked as expected. It had a few reps where freshman linebacker Shane Lee moved to cover a running back who motioned to the outside, matching a tactic that Southern Miss and South Carolina both used. In individual drills Lee and fellow freshman Christian Harris were the first two.