DCAF a second year success

A weekend of music and arts brought approximately 4,000 people to Government Plaza for Creative Campus’s second annual Druid City Arts Festival on Saturday. The festival lasted from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., concluding with a performance by musician Matthew Mayfield.

The free festival gave members of the community the opportunity to support local artists and musicians.

“I feel like it’s a good way for student to feel a part of the local community,” said Caroline Lassiter, a freshman majoring in education.

“The festival was bigger [than last year’s] in an overall general way,” said Kelly Watts, a senior and a Creative Campus intern. “This year we had so many more artists and musicians. We had bigger headliners and more food.”

As a member of Creative Campus, Watts has been working on the festival since August.

The festival began Friday night with a music crawl. Several bars in Tuscaloosa had local artists and bands playing original music.

“There was good attendance at every location,” Watts said. “I feel like we did a good job showcasing local artists.”

Bands also played Saturday in Government Plaza on the main stage. Berteal, a brother/sister duo, opened on the main stage Saturday morning, playing entirely original music.

“I loved playing at the festival. I can’t say enough good about it,” said Kim Gentry, who sings and plays piano and accordion for Berteal. “It was very well-organized.”

Gentry said she and her brother Chad Gentry on guitar and vocals would certainly consider playing at the festival again. Both Kim and Chad Gentry work on campus, Kim in the advancement office and Chad in the career center.

“This is my first year to come and I love it,” said Jackie Parks, a graduate student. “I came to see my friends in Berteal perform, but I love art so I [was] really looking forward to walking around.”

The festival had something for everyone, including students and families.

“I love that it is University- and community-based and that families, college students and older people are all together,” Parks said.

Reginald Savage brought his family to the festival and said he enjoyed it as well.

“It’s good because there is stuff for the kids, but there is also a band for me to listen too,” Savage said.

All around the main stage there were tents and booths set up displaying all different kinds of art from photography and jewelry to clothing and paintings.

“I’ve been really impressed with the advertising,” said Sumerlin Brandon, a photographer and a senior majoring in studio art. “We have had a lot of people come by the booth.”

Jamie Cicatiello returned to have a booth at DCAF for the second year and said she was pleased with the festival this year and glad Creative Campus decided to do it again.

Cicatiello owns Grace Aberdean Habitat Alchemy, a store that sells vintage furniture and accessories, upcycled products and art by local artists.

DCAF also provided new artists an opportunity to get people to see their work and jumpstart their businesses.

Chris Davenport has been making art for years but has just begun dabbling in jewelry making.

“I love the festival and would absolutely do it again,” she said.

Festivalgoers also had the opportunity to reach out and give to causes such as World Vision and Apwonjo.

Brittany Melton, an ambassador for World Vision’s Hope for Girls campaign, sold earrings and other accessories, with a portion of the profits she made going to World Vision to help stop girls from being sexually exploited and abused.

Apwonjo, a student organization that raises awareness of social justice issues in sub-Saharan Africa, also had a tent at the festival.

“The artwork hanging above was done by children and the artwork [on the table] was donated for Freedom in Creation, [a project that provides art therapy for children],” said Caitlin Trotter, a sophomore majoring in international relations and development.

Visitors could also check out poetry and storytelling at the pavilion.

For more information about the artists, storytellers, local merchants and musicians who were at the Druid City Arts Festival, visit druidcityartsfest.com.