SGA introduces new program to promote student safety

Gerardo Aguilera | @jerry21aguilera, Contributing Writer

Update – November 11: The SGA pushed both sessions back a week, due to scheduling conflicts last week. This story has been updated with the correct dates.

Update – November 12: Those interested in attending sessions must sign up beforehand. You can sign up here.

Starting this Wednesday, two self defense classes will be introduced for all students at no charge. Students will learn skills about how to prevent harm during their time at the University and after graduation.

The Student Government Association and the University of Alabama Police Department have partnered up to provide each and every student self defense classes. The classes are each one-hour sessions taught by UAPD officers.

The first session is on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 6 p.m. The second class will be offered on Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. to complete the course students must attend both sessions.

The classes will be hosted at the UAPD office 1110 Jackson Avenue, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401. These classes are to teach students how to be safe on and off campus at all times.

Participants can expect to learn methods to prevent conflict in addition to learning technical skills necessary to overcome an assailant. UAPD will inform students what resources they have both on and off campus when acting in self defense.

“The self-defense classes empower students to mitigate conflict and defend themselves when there is no time to wait on another’s assistance,” said Andrew Conquest, Chief Implementation Officer of the SGA. “I have taken the self-defense classes myself and each session was informative, applicable, interesting and engaging.”