Chick-Fil-A proves capitalism works

Dalton Counts | @DaltonCounts11, Staff Columnist

Capitalism has come under fire recently for corruption, unfairness and being a misnomer for success. Thousands of college students attack “crony capitalism” and worship the ground Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez walks on. Others are terrified of this saucy freshman congresswoman and love capitalism. For these folks, the economic system America is based on represents everything good our country stands for. Those who work hard to produce a good product will be rewarded financially. Regardless of your view on capitalism, all must realize that the previous statement is true. The natural competition it requires pushes producers everywhere to make the best possible product for the consumer. America is arguably the greatest country in history because of these driving forces. Without them, we as a society would be missing so many things we enjoy daily. Most importantly, we would be missing the bedrock of capitalism: Chick-Fil-A. 

This company embodies the entirety of our capitalistic structure. A Business Insider article reports that the fast-food chain collected over $10 billion in revenue in 2018 alone. As a frequent contributor to this revenue, it is easy for me to understand why this company is such an empire. Started in an Atlanta food court, the franchise is now in 47/50 states, including Washington D.C. Simply put, capitalism is great because it has allowed companies like Chick-Fil-A to thrive, even in the midst of controversy. This company represents the good part of our economic system. 

To begin, this restaurant has the best food for the best price. There are so many options for every meal of every day. The company also keeps evolving to meet the wants of its consumers. Just in case you got bored of a chicken sandwich with a medium waffle fry (I recommend polynesian sauce for optimal enjoyment), they added mac and cheese to the menu. The breakfast menu allows for flexibility in your cravings, whether you want a chicken biscuit or a healthier “egg white grill.” Finally, the dessert options supersede any other fast-food restaurant. Frosted lemonade? Frosted coffee? Cookies and cream milkshake? All of these are gifts from capitalism. 

Chick-Fil-A is also incredibly successful because of their customer service. Twitter frequently spotlights an employee going above the call of duty to ensure their guests the best experience. Their trademarked “my pleasure” makes all leave with a smile on their face, and every time I leave Chick-Fil-A, I can’t help but feel a little bit better about the world. Maybe this is hyperbolic, but Chick-Fil-A knows how to treat people – a basic ideology of a capitalistic structure. While many argue that capitalism requires businesses to do whatever it takes to make a profit, this business proves that general, basic kindness goes a long way.

Finally, Chick-Fil-A allows you, the consumer, to make your own decisions. When Dan T. Cathy publicly condemned same-sex marriage in June 2012, many thought it would be the end of the company. Gay-rights activists and many politicians screamed for a boycott that would cripple the business. However, capitalism had another plan. So many Americans not only love their food but also love their commitment to basic Christian values. While some hate this, others choose to support Chick-Fil-A because of it. This might be the entity of my argument: that capitalism allows Chick-Fil-A to crash and burn, but it doesn’t. This isn’t a coincidence. This Georgia company has found a formula that breeds success. They embrace their values and rely on others to do the same. This hard work is a reminder that capitalism will always work for those who use it in the right way.