Volleyball excited about incoming recruiting class

CW / Joe Will Field

Halle Bonner | @HalleBonnerCW, Staff Reporter

Alabama volleyball coaches have certain standards and expectations they hold their players to. They look for those traits in future players during the recruiting process. 

There are three main qualities head coach Lindsey Devine sees as most important when it comes to recruiting players: a competitive attitude and an overall good person. 

“When we are recruiting and watching the future people that are coming to Alabama, they have to have this predator approach when they prepare for games and for practice,” Devine said. “We also recognize that they understand what it is like to be a part of a team, so the give and the take – give more of the self and don’t take so much and be so focused on the ‘I.’ It is a team sport, so we want great teammates who care about each other, the goals and the process.”

Devine said recruits Allie Trame, Chaise Campbell and Kendyl Reaugh each have the competitive edge and heart for the sport that the coaches and team are looking for.

Trame is a 6-foot-3 middle blocker from Champaign, Illinois, who is known for being quick off the floor and blocking. In high school, she held her school’s record for career blocks and was named two-time All-Conference. She also received an Under Armour All-American Honorable Mention and was the 2018 News Gazette All-Area Player of the Year. Devine hopes to see impressive blocking from Trame, along with a good offensive presence.

Reaugh is an outside hitter from Highland Park, Texas, home to the Skyline Juniors and where Reaugh was named two-time MVP. She was also named two-time First Team All-District and two-time Texas Girls Coaches Association 5A All-State.

Campbell, another 6-foot-3 middle blocker, is from St. Petersburg, Florida. She won the 2018 4A state championship, was a part of the 2018 All-Tampa Bay First Team and All-Pinellas County First Team and received third at 2018 AAUs in the national division. 

Campbell may not have the same amount of experience as Trame and Reaugh, but Devine said she loves Campbell’s athleticism and determination to win. 

The team is pleased with its leadership, so recruiting players who can fill those shoes is very important to the coaching staff. 

“When you are looking for recruits, when they are in high school you want to find players that lead their team on their court,” junior libero/defensive specialist Kaylee Thomas said. “We want to continuously bring in leaders that will be able to take over our team once the seniors graduate.”

Thomas said she also enjoys teammates who are aggressive, able to impact the team in a positive way and are all-around good people. She saw those characteristics in Campbell, Reaugh, and Trame when she met and talked with them. 

Looking into the future of this program, Devine is recruiting players who are going to align with the culture the team is creating.

“They have to understand the values and expectations that are placed upon [them],” Devine said. “We are here at The University of Alabama, where we are pretty lucky from all the support and resources. The future is that we have to get people that know how to win, are driven in all aspects of life and show gratitude towards all the opportunities that are given to them.”