Volleyball swept by Tennessee, loses fifth straight

CW / Joe Will Field

Halle Bonner | @HalleBonnerCW, Staff Reporter

Alabama volleyball lost its fifth consecutive match on Friday night, falling 3-0 to Tennessee on the road. It was the third time in the last four matches that the Crimson Tide was swept and the second time it was swept by the Lady Vols in a 13-day span.

The team drops to 12-14 overall and 4-11 in SEC play with the loss. Tennessee improves to 13-12 overall and 7-8 in the conference.

After trailing early in the first set, Alabama answered back with back-to-back kills to catch up to the Volunteers. It was a tight battle between the two teams, but Tennessee was able to take the set 26-24.

Alabama lost its momentum in the second set. An early 6-2 lead from Tennessee forced Alabama to take a timeout. Alabama rallied to make it a one-point game, but was never able to pull ahead. Tennessee closed the set 25-16.

The Crimson Tide’s offense opened up the third set with consecutive points and saw its first lead, 10-7. Tennessee came back fighting after calling a timeout. The score was tied 16-16 and Tennessee pushed a 5-1 run, making the score 21-17. The Lady Volunteers extended their lead until the end of the set, completing the sweep 25-18 and taking the match 3-0.

Senior middle blocker Hayley McSparin lead the team with nine kills out of the team’s total 32. Freshman opposite hitter/setter Emily Janek and junior setter Meghan Neelon earned a combined 30 of the team’s 32 assists.

Friday’s trip to Knoxville was Alabama’s final road match of the season. The Crimson Tide will finish the season with a three-game home stand, beginning against LSU on Sunday, Nov. 24 at 1 p.m. CT.